Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Is OBJ or 3ds export possible ?

Re: Is OBJ or 3ds export possible ?

Hi Macros,

I am not sure what do you mean by "good quality image" - I think that is rating which differs from person to person

To your "quick question" there can be pretty long reply - it all depends on what do you want.

In case you are eager to learn new stuff, you want to understand all the mechanics of simulating materials, lighting etc. on PC, you need total control over what you do ... then I would recommend starting learning shading language ( ThinBasic supports GLSL and CG currently ). Please be warned it is run on the long track ( but in my opinion worth the time ).

If you just want to get the job done fast, then you can start studying some raytracers ( and their input fileformats), like YafRay and POV-Ray. They do a lot of work for, of course they cannot be used for real time rendering.

But the most important thing lies aside of technology - in case you plan to create commercial software, I would recommend to study trees in more detail, from "biologist" point of view. That will give you the best results with true "look and feel" of trees, that makes difference.

Along with custom textures ( even took by digital camera ) - nothing is more sad that watching new 3D RPG games having the trees looking all the same.

I still do not know for what do you need to generate trees - maybe purchasing license of SpeedTree can save you some work - with the risk trees used in your project will look oddly similar to trees in projects of others.

There is nice gallery on speed tree website with some nice billboard like images. Maybe good inspiration for your project.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: Is OBJ or 3ds export possible ?

Hi again

By good quality image i mean a non realtime rendered anti-aliased image like the image output from applications like pov-ray...
    I would like to be able to output images from a tbgl/thinbasic application that are higher quality than what you see in the viewport in realtime...
    For example render image out at 2048 x 2048 and be able to save it to tga image format with transperancy...

I use billboards and 3d models in backgrounds of 3d scenes created in a number of high end 3d applications...
    My main aim is to use the trees from Tree generator as either 3d models or Tga billboards....Both are needed..

The development of a commercial application is a fair way off at the moment because their is far to many things
    to learn and features to include....

At the moment i am struggling with the continuos mesh idea and not really getting anywhere..
    I cannot figure out how to implement it...

I was thinking if all the nodes for both a single branch and the whole tree were transformed first, It would then just be a matter of using the same method being used already to add vertices and figuring out what order to draw them in..
    However i cant get this working despite many attempts....

Do you think continuos mesh is possible using the script as it is currently..or...would the script need to be completely rewritten to be able to achieve continuos mesh...

I only ask because i have tried to figure out how to do this but keep going around in circles...
    No script to post as nothing has really changed in the generation part of the script....apart from the normals are working now...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.