Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concept: Citys

thinBasic MVPs

Re: Concept: Citys

Frank I was thinking more like this

Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

hi all..

...city landmark area dummy... example... because of the dimension 200m x ?m x 200m ...

more than 5 cents per day isn't allowed

I am out now...

"City-Landmark", and be 200 x 200 meters, but still only 100 meters high. This "City-Landmark", would be used in every track, for that city, as the focal-point of the map.
    good night, Frank Lionhead

PS: @abraxas: ok, I see how poor people living in it... best regards to the nelson family above... . I have thought they were making hot rhythm and blues musik ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Hi Frank,

thanks for the models I just cannot imagine they could be 100 meters big. When I saw them it looked to me like that garden place where people from books drink tea and discuss advances in steam engines
    Did you solved the texturing issue yet ( problem with their linking to obj )?

Michael, where do you get those reference images, again very good ones.
    Imagine those guys from second photo standing around the track, I love it ;D

My ideas regarding Adrastos now took completely wild dimensions, imagine track with hovercraft in country side with hills like default background from Windows XP, few houses, and some sheeps on the hillsides.
    It could be quite of contrast - all other cities will be modern metropolis, while this setting would be very different.

Ok, I go back to coding collisions, I tend to talk too much now

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr, you asked for sketches. Here are mine so far. I told Kent that I'll work on Shanta.

SHANTA – Acoustics (The study of sound.) & Crystallography (The science of crystal structure and phenomena.)
    Their use of crystal technology has revolutionised how their city is constructed, through the use of rapid growth techniques. They produce some of the hardest materials known to man and their sonic wave control is second to none, able to tear apart an object.
    I envision it to have pointy buildings, clear shapes but no cubes. The colors are domain by blue and yellow. For city communications you will see radar bowls all over the place.

Here are the sketches. The first one are some buildings of shanta. The second should display the skyline. The landmark will be a huge pointy tower with a giant ring near the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am working on a similar model for a city-wall, which we can use to outline the city areas. First, I am looking for acceptance or rejection for the idea of all city-sections being completely surrounded by water... Like a sectional group of islands...
    Jason, I didn't get the sense that the cities were surrounded by water, will have to hear what Mike C. thinks.

I personally thought they were connected by land and to make the background interesting to make terrain where the city walls would go up and down over hills with higher hills / mountains in the background in parts all in a sunny skied skybox.

I am working on a sample now it will take a few days as busy during the days these days, but as I mentioned come a few days into November I can devote lots of time to the project.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

The only reason I suggested to use the same height restriction for the landmarks, was because of the view. A pyramid might be the full 100 meters (330 feet, 33 stories), but surrounding city-items would not all be that height, but some may. (The great pyramid is only about 150 meters tall.) It will be difficult to see up that high, from the craft, except in the distance.)

I was not imagining a "monolith" as a landmark, more like a sight... Like a town-center, city hall, central park, disneyland, hehe... Something that could be used for a cinematic entrance to the race. (Starting at the landmark, then pulling away to the race-track start positions, over the city. Finishing the race in a similar way, with the news-paper flying/rolling/spinning in to the view, as the scene becomes covered by the "City paper", with the headlines detailing the race results.)

So, I think what I am trying to say... in example of the pyramids... Don't make one giant 150 meter pyramid... Make a 100 meter pyramid, and the three smaller ones, as the whole scene. As your "short" example... make it full scale, as you imagine it, but scale it down to 100 meters, and add other items around it, to box it out to the 200 x 200 meter tile. (Trees, other smaller buildings, a grand entrance, a statue, etc.)

Kent, I can export in these formats...
    (Should be imported, not opened raw, with most 3D editors, as an object or scene.)
    3ds (3D-Studio Autodesk)
    dwg (AutoCAD 3D)
    dxf (AutoCAD 3D)
    fbx (3D-Studio Autodesk)
    obj (Export only, generic object)
    xsi (???)
    wrl (VRML)

I have made a bundle of each, for the city00... Let me know what works for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Michael Clease: You said that the building should have no roof. I think my idea going again this. Do you want me to change my concept for Shanta?

The thought of water/islands, was strictly for design reasons...

Land is difficult to handle when it stretches beyond view, and starts to disappear into the sky. Also, land requires a decent sized image to look good. That is one 512 x 512 image that could be used for something people will be looking at more... the track, other crafts, close scenery, the sky. There is also the issue of land consuming a large portion of the poly-count, for one single object, which again, you only see about 10% of, since 90% would be covered by the immediate surroundings, or the road below you.

Ground is the largest frame-killer in any game. (Which is why there are so many games without it, and why there is so much effort to find a better alternative.)

However... thinking to the sky-box...

If the skybox had a generic flat ground, with a trim-ring of a more-detailed ground... While the sky and walls stay a fixed distance from the player-view, we could scale-move the ground object inside the sky-box. (That would make it seem to be larger than it actually is. EG, it wouldn't have to be 2000 by 2000, only 200 x 200, and moved on XZ at 1/10 the player move. Thus, it would never be "Out of view", reaching beyond the 1000 draw-distance. But the sky-box would have to be 400 x 400, to handle the shifting ground object inside.)

Have you guys filed through the images that Eros offered? To see if there are some that we can call, "Standard", and used in all models. (Since we are limiting models to one unique image, but there are many good repeating images that can be used among many models. Bricks, windows, cement, grass, wood, slime, crystal, water... Not to mention using solid-colorized noise tiles for things like building trim, stairs, rusted metal, gravel. Plus, simple gradients for the sides of buildings between one another. Fake shadow with color, no need mapping what we can't see.)

Jason, thanks for the new zipped files. I did manage to open the 3ds files with Truespace. I guess Blender has a problem with 3ds and with directx format as I have had problems in the past with that format.

I will report back on the others tomorrow after I try them in each app so we know for future reference.

About the city walls and hills, I will do it in the skybox then and not modeled out, it should be fine as I see that sort of thing in the Serious Sam series quite a bit and it looks good.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hi Mike,

thanks for the concept drawing, I like it. I am not sure what Abraxas meant by no roofs, I will wait for more details from him.

Jason, thanks for multiformat preview. It is nice to put the vehicle on one side of buildings blocks so the sizes can be easily compared. Which city would you intent to use them for?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast