Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concept: Track tiles

Concept: Track tiles

Please post track tile concepts here. Be it pencils drawing or 3D shapes.

Thanks
    Michael

Re: Concept: Track tiles

Arg... I forgot that 3D stuff was in Media...

For the simplicity of the post... (Width=XorZ, Length=XorZ, Height=Y)
    - 100 x 100 x 100 meters = one block, for city-blocks, wall-blocks and track-blocks. (Possible city-block over track-block.)
    - 100 x 200 x 100 meters = special track-block. (No overlapping city-block.)
    - 200 x 200 x 100 meters = special track-block. (No overlapping city-block.)
    - 200 x 200 x 100 meters = special city-block "Land-Mark"

Craft size??? Undetermined, but I included what I have used in the SandBox3 as an open guide.

Attached files contain city blocks, and sample universal track forms. 100 x 100 x 100 format at 3DS files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

How much are meters in TBGL units?

Forget about it, I think I found it.

Thanks Jason will study it.

Trying to sleep I kept racing with ideas and this is what I came up with:

First starting with gliders/crafts:
    To allow a nice amount of room for very different looking designs I thought 4m wide x 4m long and 4m high as Maximums.
    Some craft can be small and others tapered to maybe at some point the 4m maximums. With these dimensions we should be able to handle many different styles and designs.

In Racing you usually see just 2 cars passing each other and rarely 3 side by side. With the 4m maximum dimension, even if all three vehicles were passsing for a total of 12m,
    we would still have enough room in between them on a 20m wide track.

I thought also the side walls would be 1 meter thick on each side, that includes the angle on the side walls for a total of 22m wide for the structure. That leaves 1.5 meters on each side on a 25m tile.

Also 25m is a decent size for a small building or apartment or even decent size house. So this dimension is pretty neat.

If the quadrant (1/4 city size) is 1km x 1km that means 40 tiles by 40 tiles for the editors.
    I think having one uniform tile size will make things a lot easier than different sized tiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Sorry, a unit is a meter... (1) in TB = (1 meter).

Replace the generic model I used in the SandBox3 program with one that is 4-meters wide, and see how it looks.

I will make the code to load the city-blocks also, for testing scale.

I attached a 4-meter diameter UFO style M15 craft... Use this to replace the ship-file in the SandBox3 test.

Looks a little large, which would call for a larger track-block and city-block size. However, to keep the game-scale, we can resize it... But I think a 2-meter width may be the vehicle-max for that track-size. (Remember, the track-size was scaled off a 1-meter wide personal vehicle, not a full-size truck that is nearly double-wide.)

The larger the vehicle, the larger the game has to be, and the slower it will appear to function, due to the larger scale. (That is the airplane effect.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

We will only be seeing a "portion" of a city, in every track. The city is figmentive not actual... There is no connection from city-A/track-1, and city-A/track-2.

The "City", simply determines which "Style" of models we load. Technically, we could use that track in another city, and only the scenery and possibly the track style would change. We would not be mixing city-A buildings with city-B buildings, because they both would have the same ID.

Though the styles change from city to city, the shape that they have, must be within the same sizes. If there is an "Overpass" in one city, the same overpass must be in all cities... and work the same. (EG, if it is 20 meters off the track in city-A, it must be 20 meters off the track for city-B style, city-C style, and city-D style.)

I attached a sample image... how the game sees maps, as "Owned" by a city... not physically part of a large block of a city.

The "Bank" has to be twice the width... or it is just a wall that you hit. A 4 meter craft can not "Bank" up a 1-meter wide slope, the incline would be 4:1. (A 4-meter wide slope would be a 45-degree bank or 4:4, which would be like a ramp-launch. A "Bank" is a smooth curved surface that you can ride-up, with minimal angle change from your left to your right side of the vehicle.)

25 meters may be good for an individual house... but a track-turn can not be in a 25 meter box if the track is 25 meters wide. (Car intersections that span 25 meters at 90-deg bends, have a radius equal to that distance. But that is for a stop-light. You can not do more than 25 mph on a 25 meter radius turn in a car.) That would put a block at a minimum, using those specs, of 75 meters by 75 meters, to create a "Turn-block", which has an inner radius of 25 meters, with a 25 meter wide track.)

With a 10 segment track at 75 meters per block, that is 750 meters per side. (Well within view.)

However... if the building-blocks are individual buildings... at 25 meters. That turns 750 meters into 30 by 30 tiles to fill with city buildings. That is 900 building-blocks to track, rotate, position, etc...

We don't have to have odd sizes, it just makes it look better if everything is not a square.

For the track... it is almost a necessity. You can only do so much inside one solid square, and it will be too generic and repetitive, if we don't include a few odd-shapes for a driving challenge. Those "Special" track segments are where you create the 90-degree turns, and overpasses, and tunnels, and zig-zags. (You surely can't do that in a 25 meter block, with a 25 meter wide track.)

This is why I wanted us to do the flexible track... it does not need blocks, only points.

We don't have to have odd sizes, it just makes it look better if everything is not a square.
    Yes I agree, any element which breaks too evident "regularity" is good one.

Kent, your scheme for game city is very good, but would lead to too much modeling. I am for making some visually nice city around the track ( as I said, Potiemkin decorations - something to make you feel there is big city but without doing big city ). That is basically what Jason proposes.

For this reason I am thinking the outer ring could be part of skybox maybe?

Petr

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Since I could not get the SandBox programmed as quick as I can copy-paste in a 3D editor... LOL...

Here is what the models and the track, and the "personal craft", look like as one.

Keep in mind... I did not make any "track-fill" city sections, and I used only one city-block over and over, turned, flipped and placed as the border.

A skybox doesn't move, relative to the player (It moves with the player, so to speak.) So that would make the city appear to move on the horizon... Might look odd when the city starts to disappear past view. (Which is why I suggested that we stay within the limit of 1000, but possibly with an actual view distance of 2000, to ensure everything present stays in view. Having a lower-view setup as a selectable option in the game-options.)

The wall can be one-sided, and auto-created around the city-limit, to hide the true horizon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast