Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SandBox Testing

SandBox Testing

Ok, I have started a new topic, because this code is getting beyond AI, and creeping into other various elements.

I have no intentions of "This" being the game, or how it is played... "This", is still just a sand-box toy, for testing elements.

I am still trying to get a 3D ship model, and track. (I didn't realize that the track editor didn't export maps yet.) Even as a flat game... this was fun. I was playing more than doing actual code. (Though, I got a lot of that done also.)

Steering is a funny setup, because of the models being -180 to 180 for orientation. I had to add +180, perform a mod, then split it back to the -180 to 180, to mod it again, for "Steer return".

The "Steer return" is about half of the turn value. This aligns you forward, in the direction you hit, so you don't keep spinning around. It still needs some work, but it is playable.

I am thinking about doing the decay, after translation of the KEY MOD, which will show on the next frame-pass. (For now... you add 0.7, than instantly remove 0.3 before translation. Not good. LOL.)

Now I only need to have an indicator setup, to show the direction you "Should" be going... to let you know that you just missed a marker. Which I have also extended to a 20m width, or 10m radius. I am not good at race games. Took me years to master NFS3.

The AI is completely autonomous, with some more generic "Push" code. Gives you something to chase.

No forces yet, only the cheated forces in the controls. No weapons, no walls, no drop-in items, and no sky...

I did notice a cool effect that we may be able to use for sky/water and even has low-overhead... I am just not sure how it will look on other graphics cards. The "Grass" I have as a ground image, when I was moving 0.1 mph, the slow-scroll had a cool GL transform effect. I will attempt to make a skybox with it soon. Not hard to attach the box to the player, now that it is a pivot/player.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: SandBox Testing

Again great improve.

Problem is that it is too dark so very soon you get lost.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Worked well for me,

fog is the darkness maker

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I am not sure what you say, when you say it is getting dark...

On mine, if I turn the LIGHT on, for the ships... they render backwards... dark under the light, and light away from the light...

I only have a point-light setup... I was not getting any changes with any other lighting. I can turn on "Ambient", but you will have to set it, and tell me what you have it set to. Or send a snapshot... I am going to see if there is anything I can do to make my GL better... I may have knocked it down a notch for spore.

I did change the value of the initial light... (Room was larger)

[code=thinbasic] ' -- Create light
    TBGL_EntityCreateLight(%sScene, %eLight, 0, %TBGL_LIGHTTYPE_POINT)
    TBGL_EntitySetPos(%sScene, %eLight, 0, 450, 0)[/code]

Find that near the bottom, the original values of for, TBGL_EntitySetPos(%sScene, %eLight, 500, 1000, 500), should be changed to the above code...

Doesn't do anything on my screen... so I never changed it back... guess that works on your computer. (There is an optional light below, which didn't work for me also.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jason,

the racers render odd with light because they have no normal vectors specified.
    I think "let it be" because final game will have models, with normals calculated at load time.

To make scene more bright you could set color of ground to 255, 255, 255 as I suggested some time ago.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

If I put it higher than 90,90,90... it begins to "Glow", unnaturally... The attached photo is what I see if I set 255,255,255 for the ground color.

I am sure it is just the way my computer handles open-gl...
    (ATI MOBILITY RADEON EXPRESS 200) 128MB.

For what I see on my laptop... This is better than anything else that I have on here with GL settings. I don't expect much from laptops and on-board video cards. They are all chopped-up. If it wasn't for the 2.2Ghz processor, it might look worse! (Turning "V-Sync" on, kills the whole program. It just jumps all over, and the screen actually shears more.)

I should get a snap-shot of the other demo programs. This is a gem compared to the graphic issues those create on my computer. (I just wasn't sure if it was because they were written for the older 1.6 and not 1.7 ThinBasic versions.)

Hi Jason,

the result on your PC is ... correct.
    Have a look at original texture, it is very bright.

You disable lighting for ground so I think your output is correct on given settings.

Petr

P.S. Fact is displays of notebooks tend to overbright. For example this forum on laptop at home looks like almost completely white. This has nothing to do with OpenGL.

Attached image is what I see in the 3 view modes.
    The last one is the one I'm referring when I say it is too dark.

My CPU (see in my signature) is a mobile one but usually much faster than many other desktop one I can compare to.

Ciao
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Wow, are you tricking me... you are out in space... Did you try the light move issue?

I know it is correct coloring, but it does not look right. (Artistically matched for the settings.)

I had to crank it up in my paint program, to combat the the original light issues. It was easier to adjust in the game, than keep going back and forth in the paint program. I figured that I might get the lights working at some point.

Now I am going to go play with the M15 editor, to see what I can create.

A suggestion: can you setup a key to switch from one view mode to the other?
    Problem is that it is not easy to switch using mouse while you are using arrow keys to drive you car.

I suggest function keys (F4, F5, F6, ...) or use TAB or V key to switch to the next view mode.

Ciao
    Eros

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast