With the AI being developed, there is a desire to begin thinking about input controls. I say this, because AI will ultimately use the same input, and have to obey the same "Rules" as the live players.

Some of this REACTION and PHYSICS are co-dependant.

As I was playing around, I came across a tiny hurdle, and an idea.

Remember, these are not race-cars, so they don't respond or control the same way. Cars steer from the nose, while a craft steers from the back, in most cases. Cars also have more friction, and thus, more control. Crafts have a strong drift, and little spin-out control.

Some of this can be simulated quite well, but... Getting back to the controls...

With a car, you have a LEFT-TURN or RIGHT-TURN option for control, as well as, FASTER, SLOWER, and REVERSE.

With a craft, you have all those above and also, LEFT-DRIFT, RIGHT-DRIFT, and a factor called SPIN-OUT. (Spin-out is when you hit something like a wall or object, and develop a turn in your forward trajectory. Like how a pinball or billiard ball develops spin on a rail or from a hit, but still travels forward.)

It is easy to simply remove SPIN-OUT from the game, or save it for an ending animation when your damage is up...

However, I think that having a DRIFT would add for some interesting and unique skill, since this will also be a slower speed game. You go into a turn, turn your nose, and set a counteraction side drift so you don't slingshot into the side-walls. (If you only turn, your craft turns on center, since there is no friction to change the path, which is why a hovercraft changes nose, than uses side-jets to alter the path, and be facing the correct way after the turn.)

This can also be "Tricked", to work like a normal car, with sloppy steering... if need be. (Using 3D ship-banking, or front-jets, to explain the "Unnatural control". But that might take away some of the fun, an just turn it into a slow race-car game, with hovercrafts. With loose steer, you can not have the game fast, and still be fun... because you will bouncing off every turn/wall, or slowing down to give yourself the desired control.)

For input, there is the obvious keys, WASD, while QE could be for drifting. TO drift/turn right... you would use QD (Q = turn right), (D = left-jet which is drift-right)

Alternately, the arrow keys could be used, with complete separate drift controls. (My brain can't handle that spread.)

For a joystick, the drift would best be controlled by the pointer fingers, on a PS style controller with top-buttons. (You want one fast thumb for fire-control.)

As a courtesy, for those without coordination... There could be an option to "BIND" drifting to the turn. That would simulate a more "race-car" feel, but they loose the ability to drift. (Now they have to use a less desired turn, to make drift adjustments, which could lead to zig-zagging and loss of control, when desired the least. Thus, removing some of the fun. If not bound, an not used, all turns will be like pinball, or force you to a loosing speed, to make the turn.)

In the advent of AI... These "Traits" have to be programmed into the code, or into the AI controller/ships, as they will be used to provide the same style driving. Without matching control selections, the AI could seem to have an unnatural advantage, or simply be ineffective as competition.