Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AI for hovercraft

AI for hovercraft

Hi all,

here is just basic test of "AI" for aircraft, it is currently just about hovercraft parametrization of taking waypoints seriously.
    I would like to have quite interesting AI implemented in the game, based on racer "psychology" - when somebody is last, he will try to drive more risky and so on...

But this demo does implement just following for now:
    • Following waypoints in correct order
    • Having speed and steering reactions parametrized

What are your thoughts on AI? In which racing game you liked, in which hated?

Petr
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

Re: AI for hovercraft

If you are going to make new commands you need to let us have them :P

TBGL_EntityGetDistance
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

hi petr, hi all

- uhps! Thanks for the nice 'aircraft' AI, I will check it and build in perhaps one or two or three (I see!) simple dummy objects for testing it... I like the different velocity and the cruising around hurdles that smells after a race structure! good one

3 Triangles: yellow = very fast, green = fast, red = slow. They are starting at the same time I have seen, very good... hovercraft race around buoys I can imagine... I support such basically ideas of a game... although I am not a real gamer profi

other improvements of game modus could follow if the team like it

best regards, Lionheart, jump into bed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas
    If you are going to make new commands you need to let us have them :P

TBGL_EntityGetDistance
    Mike, I think you need the lastest preview of 1.7.0.0, as the script runs fine here.

Petr, nice job. Once there will a randomization of the steering behaviour and alternativ path settings, this could really work. It is really strange how you have the same thoughts like I do.

I would like to have quite interesting AI implemented in the game, based on racer "psychology" - when somebody is last, he will try to drive more risky and so on...
    Thsi should be not a general rule. We should define different AI characters. Some would do that, some would react different.

Hi,

@Abraxas, I am very sorry, as Mike said, it is from 1.7.0.0. I will be using this version, as it has some nice touches out of TBGL as well. If you do not want to go for this preview2, you can simply use TBGL_EntityGetPos for 2 entities and calculate the distance on your own.

@LionHeart, I originally wanted to put your hovercraft there, but then I decided for more symbolic look and smaller download for others.

@Mike, good idea. One thing I like about FlatOut 2 budget ( but probably the best ) car racing game is that there are 8 opponents with face and name, each driving differentely. Would be nice to have it in our game as well.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

Sorry I didnt realise until I read Eros's update that he didnt update the link, I had to.
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

... can I ask for meaning specific words?

randomization of the steering behaviour and alternativ path settings
    ... puh!

and

steering reactions parametrized
    sorry...

- I can build some new objects, you are right, petr, the hovercraft model was simple too big for such little scene... there will come some better crafts and lower poly objects

best regards, lionheart

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Lionheart,

no too big, I like it! Just at this phase it is not necessary. We can develop AI on simple model, and then just bind the models in final release. I also like the fact that when script does not use any external resources, I can launch it directly in browser ( click + open ).

Randomization of the steering behaviour = to not make the pilots of hovercraft too precise, but make them a bit inprecise
    alternativ path settings = tracks will have some parts where they split, so AI will choose which path to take

steering reactions parametrized = as you can see in the AI routine, I basically retrieve heading angle from one entity to other, and take it as base to make ship go left/right. The parametrization consists just in multiplying the angle fraction by some constant, determining pilot driving style ( higher number, more sharp steering )

If you have time for next ships I will be only happy

Petr

ok hi all, now the final and last post...

=> I include here three simple dummy car objects, yellow, blue, red one

try to use it and please say if they are too big...

good night, lionheart
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Psch
    If you have time for next ships I will be only happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart008
    => I include here three simple dummy car objects, yellow, blue, red one
    ;D guys, I think you should work on your communication skills too!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast