Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game: Track implementation

Game: Track implementation

This topic is about how to implement the race tracks into the game. Please post your ideas and oppinions here.

Re: Game: Track implementation

Hi Mike,

think of the following like of brainstorming rather than something mature.

- thought #1
    Track completely done in some modeler, imported just as model = pure madness.
    Why? - Some things will be just decorations, but colision detection routine could not autodetect it.

- thought #2
    Per triangle collision would probably eat too much processing power ( unless written in Oxygen ).
    That leads me to the idea of tunnel: ideal line throught the center of track, surrounded by tunnel - maximum deviation radius.

- thought #3
    It would be nice to have alternative paths in the math, so the track editor should contain some AI " choose track suggestion" factor too

- thought #4
    What is the track ? Should we pick the idea of tunnel, or even more open space, such as wasteland ( ruins of city )

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. But don't ask me alone. The others are welcome to discuss this too. Some thoughts of yours are very similar to mine.

#1 I would rather see a trackeditor where you can build the track with building blocks and place them visualy. This editor could save them. The modeling section would provide the block models and then everyone could build a track. If you want I can try to come up with some ideas (3d) for these building blocks.

#2 I don't like the tunnel idea. It's visually to similar. I would rather consider using insible geometry, or collision areas. These could be created inside a track editor. We would only need collision to the bottom and the sides. Top is not important.

#3 Yes, definately, you also need them when an AI ship wants to overtake.

#4 I would stay with track designs, but not with tunnel only.

The track editor would be used to build the track, set the waypoints for the AI, set the rest of the environment, define the collision areas, etc.

Hi Mike,

now I get it. I downloaded demo of WipeOut 2097, so I have the idea of what track is - like a road with mantinels. That sounds ok to me.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi guys,

If I understood correctly the ideas is to create a map editor for the track where we design the track and assign into it a waypoints for AI.
    I like it, it's same ideas that i have for Arkanoid Game where the map editor create a file with the character of map.

the track in open space sounds better of a tunnel for me.

Ciao,
    Simone

LapTop Pc: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 • 2GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM • 160GB hard disk • 512MB ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics • Win Vista SP1<br />Desktop Pc: 1.6GHz Intel Core 2&nbsp; • 2GB DDR2 RAM •&nbsp; 1024MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT • WinXp&nbsp; SP3

Hi Simone,

my idea of open space has one problem - it is quite tough to design. If we have track ( like highway ), it can be quite simple, and artists can decorate it in Potiemkin way ( no need to design where player will never hover ).

It would be quite cool to go hi-speed in ruins in desert, but I cannot predict how much work would it mean for our artist friends. Also - too big space means higher requirements for design. If you have smaller space ( just left / right side of track m ), then you can put there more detail to remember. I am curious what other think.

Petr

for me it would not be a problem with open space. Petr, imagine running races Only in tunnels. How boring is that? An open track can have buildings, bridges, a sky, whatever. It looks more interesting. I think the track elements are not the problem. I think texturing will be the tricky part. but hey, I'm not alone here. So I will go by what the majority wants.

Ok,

I would love to have Open Space too, but I was thinking of how much time we have to finish this ( no so difficult from programming point of view ).
    Let the modeler guys say what they think they can manage.

Petr

Since most games start out with an easy level and get more complex, I think this would lend itself to track and game play development.
    We could start out with a training course to get the player used to controlling their vehicles.

1. Simple oval track, to test speed vrs better handling.
    How to get powerups and perhaps what they do

2. Put in jumps, loops more advanced track feature training.

3. The First Real Racing Level where the driver would face opponents and be out of training mode.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

My intention of this topic was how a track will be implemented. Means technically. In one peace. Or in elements (block) and so we need a track editor where oyu can put these elements into a full track. Does anyone of you know the game "trackmania" ? If not, download the demo or the free nations game and play with the track editor. I would like to see such a thing in our game. A different thing could be to have an editor where oyu can DRAW the track and the track elements would be created out of this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast