Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen and Basic syntax

Oxygen and Basic syntax

Charles,

I have a question about Oxygen that maybe is to much to ask but worth it.

I see Oxygen as a king, something really fantastic, unexpected. A super language per se. But at the same type difficult understand and to be used for people in search of a BASIC language like thinBasic is or try to be. I put myself in the list of users that find Oxygen difficult to understand due to my ignorance on CPU and ASM.

Now the question is: why not having Oxygen to parse a language more close to a Basic one? Maybe a little more limited in possibilities than what Oxygen is now but at the same time more close to what people are used or try to find here. I'm sure more people would use it so giving more tributes and satisfaction to the big big work you have done so far. I have to admit that latest version made a big improve on this side.

I know this is an unfair request due to the amout of time you have spent on current Oxygen but I think one of the biggest satisfaction for people writing programming languages is to see other people using and be productive with that language. And you merit thousands of users using Oxygen.

Ciao
    Eros

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Re: Oxygen and Basic syntax

Yes Eros, we can add a High level language layer (H2O) to Oxygen providing TYPE awareness and a kernel of functions with the BASIC syntax. This would enable programmers to convert critical sections of their thinBasic scripts into machine code without using Assembler. (Then invite Donald to evaluate it )

Well,

if you need any new interface with thinCore in order to simpify this job, let me know.
    I didn't port all thinCore interfaces to FreeBasic SDK but if you need I will convert them all (or anything else from my side).

Donald seems very concentrated on HB. It seems a love/hate feeling. I will not bother him again (for the moment )

Ciao
    Eros

PS: I've tested in thinBasic: "9 * 10 + 9". It always results to 99. I was a little worried about that to have the same problem
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Thanks Eros.

I've got a version of thincore.bi matching your PB version as at 23 Mar 2008, though I have not tested all the functions..

- it's included in the Oxygen src folder.

One facility, which would enhance integration would be to provide a script pointer to the module so it can capture a chunk of script, and return its end position. ThinBasic can then skip over this block and continue as normal:

p=GetScriptPtr()

SetScriptPtr(p)

Charles,

an interface function like that is already present and used (for example) by thinDebug to get full script source code.
    The problem is that it works only if the script is in clear text. If script is obfuscated, it does not return anything (by design) because it would go against the obfuscation concept and break the rule.

Eros

Another approach would be to provide a superstring so that normal quote marks (ascii 34) and single quote (ascii 39) can be used inside it. - going back to the rawtext idea.

I favour a comppund symbol - something that is not normally used in Basic C Javascript or XML

!!! ... !!!

Hi,

good idea with high level. But please keep also the current state, I like it, because I have no other possibility to play with SSE comfortably .

When I think of it ... using Tokenizer + Oxygen modules it is theoretically possible to write compiler of high level language producing EXEs, right?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr,

Introducing Basic is definitely an addition on top of the instructions already available. - another layer on the onion.

But first we need H2O, which adds TYPE awareness with rules for converting between strings, integers and floating point. This will conceal the real CPU and provide a virtual machine with its own instruction set. BASIC can then encapsulate H2O.

I have not envisage producing standalone EXEs. Could either adopt FreeBasic's method of using the GNU library, assembler and linker or directly produce files in PE format. But I think deploying the run time module is the better option, since it will be reasonably small and potentially support many binaries. (that Oxygen Opengl1 demo is only 6.5 k of machine code ).

Thanks Charles,

I also checked the OpenGL "binary footprint" and I was pleasantly surprised.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Eros, thanks for the request. Charles, thanks for putting in systems to allow for such syntax adaptions in. Great planning!!

I still want what is there to be there, because I want to learn assembler, at least enough to do simple things for now to learn.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast