Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next thinBasic: how numeric tokens are stored internally

Next thinBasic: how numeric tokens are stored internally

In next thinBasic release, all numbers specified inside a script, will be stored as DOUBLE instead of EXTENDED numbers.

Example:

DIM MyVar AS LONG
    MyVar = 1

thinBasic store "1" as a numeric EXTENDED value in an internal structure in order to be faster the next time the same token is parsed.
    Storing as DOUBLE seems a little advantage (10 bytes EXT against 8 bytes DOUBLE) but when numbers are inside loops (and it happens a lot of times) it can be a signficative improve. Also I've not seen any script so far that requiires to store a numeric value with the magnitude of EXT numeric data.

Do you see any problems?

Thanks a lot
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Re: Next thinBasic: how numeric tokens are stored internally

Eros:

Will all internal numerical calculations still be performed in EXTENDED?

If not, will the use of EXTENDED still be available, as an option, for performing calculations at higher precision?

Don
    XPS 1710

I am with Don,

it would be nice to have EXT variable when declared AS EXT, for the rest DOUBLE is ok.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Yes, all internal calculation are always performed at the maximum precision, that is EXTENDED.

The change will only influence how the "clear text" numbers indicated in the scripts are stored and not how they are used for calculation.
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Eros:

I am not clear yet regarding how inputted and/or computed numerical variables can be stored under your proposed change.

For example, will it be possible to specifically declare a variable (either inputted or computed in the program) as EXTENDED so that it is stored in the program as EXTENDED?

I particular, I am concerned about loosing computed precision if EXTENDED computed values are temporarily stored in program variables unless these program variables are also EXTENDED. For example, obital calculations frequently require high precision temporary storage between computational steps; otherwise the computed precision is lost if the computations are stored in variables of lesser significance.

Don
    XPS 1710

Quote Originally Posted by GSAC3
    I am not clear yet regarding how inputted and/or computed numerical variables can be stored under your proposed change.
    Hi Don,

here I'm not referring to "variables" but to numbers present in source script. There will not be any loosing precision in any calculation. Variables will be stored and handled with the precision of the type used when variables are declared (LONG, DOUBLE, EXT, ... whatever). All internal intermediate calculations are always done with the highest precision avaliable in thinBasic, that is EXTENDED. And this will continue.

New way of handling "source code numbers" has just to do the parsing process not calculations during execution. When thinBasic loads a source code, a big part is parsing every source tokens. Every token is than stored and optimized in internal data structures in order to be fast to retrieve them when needed. One of those token class is "numbers", all the numbers present in source code: 1, 10000, 0.0003, 1234.567890123, ... whatever. Those numbers are not parsed every time but are stored in temp areas. Currently those areas are dimensioned as 10 bytes with EXTENDED precision. In new version those numbers will be stored in 8 bytes with DOUBLE precision. DOUBLE precision has a range from 4.19x10^-307 and 1.79x10^308 (see thinBasic help at http://www.thinbasic.com/public/prod...cvariables.htm ) so enough for whatever number I've seen in any script so far.

Hope to have cleared the doubts, otherwise ask again or please provide a piece of source code example to check and I will make tests.

Ciao
    Eros

Eros:

Thank you for your clarification. I understand what you are proposing now.

Don
    XPS 1710

Eros:

If I understand you correctly, the following syntax would no longer store the two 18 significant figure values under your proposed change.

DIM DR AS EXT VALUE = 0.0174532925199432957 '18 significant digits
    DIM RD AS EXT VALUE = 57.2957795130823209 '18 significant digits

Instead, only the first 16 significant figures would be stored in the two variables.

Don
    XPS 1710

Result will be the following:
    [code=thinbasic]
    uses "CONSOLE"

DIM DR AS EXT VALUE = 0.0174532925199432957 '18 significant digits
    DIM RD AS EXT VALUE = 57.2957795130823209 '18 significant digits

printl "DR=" & str$(DR, 1
    printl "RD=" & str$(RD, 1
    waitkey

'---Output:
    'DR= 1.74532925199432957E-2
    'RD= 57.2957795130823209
    [/code]

Are you using those kind of figures? What do you use thinBasic for?

Ciao
    Eros

Stupid question mine :-[

[code=thinbasic]
    uses "CONSOLE"

printl "Radians(180)=" & radians(180)
    printl "Degrees(Radians(180))=" & Degrees(Radians(180))
    waitkey

function radians(deg as ext) as ext
    function = deg * .0174532925199432957
    end function

function degrees(rad as ext) as ext
    function = rad * 57.29577951308232103
    end function
    [/code]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast