Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAB Alpha Release 28

TAB Alpha Release 28

Hi,

Here is new bundled version of Thinbasic Adventure Builder.

http://tab.thinbasic.com/tabdemo.zip

(thinbasic not required to be installed)

04 May 2008 (Release 2
    ===========
    *NEW. %vsyn% formatting code substitutes synonym typed by player into message text instead of verb keyword. (suggested by Jason Nicholls)

*CHANGED. Bigger font in *most* Editor textboxes for clarity and easier reading. (suggested by Jason Nicholls)

*NEW. Ability to make TAB_Player autoload and run a specified adventure datafile. (suggested by Jason Nicholls)
    To make this work simply rename your database to "autorun" and place in same folder as TAB Player.

*CHANGED. TAB Editor can now be minimized.

*NEW. "invlistoff" ACTION command forces TAB to concatenate PLAYER inventory listing. If choosing this option the previously unused System Message 51 should be set to read by default: "You are wearing" and all object text descriptions should begin with a lower case letter and should not terminate with a period. (full stop)
    eg: "a brown satchel" is OK. "A brown satchel." is not OK for this type of inventory output.

Example code required in Script 2:

' enable concatenated player inventory listing...

[start]flag20=0[acts]flag20=1#invlistoff[end]

Example output:

You are carrying a torch and a spanner. You are wearing a satchel, a hat and a blazer. In the satchel is a map, a small compass and the revolver.

"Crystal_Keepers.tab" has been updated to use this type of inventory listing.

*NEW. Random Messages feature. Use %r% format code(s) inside a message text to signify elements of a randomly printed message

EXAMPLE
    -------

"The knife is bloodstained and very sharp.
    %r%The knife is covered in blood.
    %r%The knife is coated with patches of blood.
    %r%The knife is smeared with red blood.
    %r%Knife: It's got blood on the handle and blade!
    %r%Ugh! The small knife has got blood all over it.
    %r%The knife looks like it's been used recently. There are splashes of blood on it."

>examine knife

Knife: It's got blood on the handle and blade!

Can be used in locations, messages, custom messages (cmess), object descriptions, object examine text, Character text and *some* system messages (one's that are complete messages)
    There is no fixed upper limit to the number of random elements a text may contain.
    A very useful addition to TAB.

"Character_demo.tab" has some example uses of %r% code embedding.

*FIX. LOADING Response ,Script1, Script2 and Character Speech text files now operating correctly without trouble.

*NEW. New %?% format code used in Response and Character Speech to provide customised replies when words not understood by TAB. eg: Response entries

[start]?[acts]cmessSorry. I do not understand "%?%" as a verb.#done[end]

[start]%v% ?[acts]cmessSorry. I do not understand "%?%" as a noun in that sentence.#done[end]

[start]%v% %n1% ?/%v% %objn1% ?/%v% %charn1% ?[acts]cmessSorry. I do not understand "%?%" in that sentence.#done[end]

[start]%v% %n1% %p% ?/%v% %objn1% %p% ?/%v% %charn1% %p% ?[acts]cmessI didn't understand "%?%" as a noun in that sentence.#done[end]

[start]%v% %p% ?[acts]cmessSorry."%?%" is not in my vocabulary as a noun.#done[end]

Traps nonsense words or words not understood by TAB and prints appropriate reply.

All example demo datafiles updated to include this.

Regards,
    catventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)

Re: TAB Alpha Release 28

Thanks a lot for new version,

I like all new features, especially "random" message.

Thanks,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Another nice update, cat.
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

Thanks a lot for this update catventure.

I just noticed there is no "TAB_Updater" in the "Alpha 28 (04 May 200". It is a great tool.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Cat just downloaded and I usually do the graphical game as it is easier for me I am not a text adventure player as you can tell.

I had an idea to make it easier for guys like me. Instead of having to type in commands, that all available commands for that situation be given in a list. either text list where I enter a number or letter to run the command or select it from a list box. Maybe this goes against the charm of text based games, I don't know. If it doesn't, I think it would make playing them a lot easier for new playes as myself.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Quote Originally Posted by kryton9
    ...I had an idea to make it easier for guys like me. Instead of having to type in commands, that all available commands for that situation be given in a list. either text list where I enter a number or letter to run the command or select it from a list box. Maybe this goes against the charm of text based games, I don't know. If it doesn't, I think it would make playing them a lot easier for new playes as myself.
    Yeah or you could use a system like in the Secret of Monkey Island & have all the commands listed in the corner & then the user could select them with the mouse.
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

Secret of Monkey Island was beautiful ( still have the CD version with 256 color graphics and perfect music ),

and the controls were ok. Although fact is this was a bit different kind of adventure game ( as it relied on graphics ), I think it would not be bad to have something like that in TAB. Maybe even some context propositions, like for "take" it would pop up list of objects.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi. Some good ideas there!

However, TAB will always primarily be a text adventure maker and there is still a lot of adjustments and new features to be added in the coming months. I also expect to get feedback from the Interactive Fiction community- ideas and suggestions for improves etc.
    I'm also thankful to forum members here for their support, testing and reports on the program.
    As a matter of fact I think it probably a lot, lot easier and straightforward to make a point'n'click graphic adventure with clickable button commands using thinBasic so I definately think a project like that is very do-able...
    A TAB user is currently making a graphic adventure based using TAB about the Bronte sister book "Wuthering Heights" and hopefully a sneak peek of this later..

Best wishes,
    catventure.
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)

Quote Originally Posted by catventure
    A TAB user is currently making a graphic adventure based using TAB about the Bronte sister book "Wuthering Heights" and hopefully a sneak peek of this later..
    Great news catventure!
    Thanks
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Here is a work in progress on youtube of it as it was originally being written using my older adventure creator - but it will give you some idea...

catventure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast