Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TBGL, whats in the kitchen ?

TBGL, whats in the kitchen ?

Hi,

as there were no messages from TBGL world, you might be curious what is going on.
    First thing is that I have a bit busy time, but second is that I am prepairing quite big performance jump for TBGL.

While display lists always provided very good performance, the pure model rendering was not that fast.
    On onboard GeForce6150 LE ( yes, that LE stands for low end ) it usually rendered about 70 000 polygons at 25FPS, but not more.

As I am reworking the bone system, I am doing some change in the way models are handled. Here I managed to achieve 2 goals so far - increase efficiency of model storage and increase speed.

The model rendering code has passed phase 1 of optimization, which targeted on minimizing traffic between program and graphic driver. Results are very promising so far - for models with more textures the speed gain is about 2x, for single texture models up to 2.8x.

On my particular PC it means jump from ~70 000 polygons to up to 210 000 polygons at 25FPS in ideal case, which is a budget you can build a solid detail on.

I attach two screens of the same scene - it is about 226 models rendered at 30FPS with TBGL I have in the works. Current TBGL would do the same scene at framerate about 10, which is not good

I still have to do all possible checking with older scripts to make sure this new optimization is possible, but I think you can look forward to hi-speed version in time horizon of 1 or 2 weeks.

The animation part will take some time still, but I am working on that in parallel too.

Bye,
    Petr

ADDED COMPARSION OLD-NEW TO THIS POST + choice of number of humans to not torture cards too much
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: TBGL, whats in the kitchen ?

emmmm .... better I stay calm ...

where is my blue pill? oops, sorry, red pill!

;D

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

;D

Here I attach EXE of the new "technology", not a DLL yet as it is not ready to ship, that will come later as I said
    Eros, you do not need pills to enter the Matrix, so do not play tricks on us

Just use arrows to rotate camera, and F1 key will tell you how much polygons you would be able to spit at 25FPS.

Petr

Attachement removed, please see new one in the first post of the thread

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

thanks for the information.

I was thinking that seeing as you are optimising and improving your code it would be a good idea to have a new standard script with a standard model do to bench marking with, if we had it before you release the new version we could supply our result to you for comparison.

It could include the processor type and speed and the graphic card details.

[code=thinbasic]
    USES "Registry"
    DIM CPUid AS STRING
    DIM CPUSpeed AS DWORD
    DIM sMsg as STRING

CPUid = Registry_GetValue("HKEYLM", "HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0", "ProcessorNameString")
    CPUspeed = Registry_GetDWORD("HKEYLM", "HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0", "~MHZ")

sMsg += "CPU type" + $TAB + CPUid + $CRLF
    sMsg += "CPU speed" + $TAB + STR$(CPUspeed) + $CRLF

MSGBOX 0, sMsg

[/code]
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Hi Abraxas,

you read my mind

Current TBGL_Benchmark is good to differentiate cards, but it does not show many improvements between versions on the same PC as it is based on bottlenecking the card by rebinding texture each 4 vertices.

For testing now I use that guy ( single texture, ~800 polys ) and also model of turtle ( 5000 polys, 4 textures, all types of polygons ).

I was thinking the benchmarks could be separate for model rendering speed, animation, ...

Thanks a lot for your CPU info code, it is really good! I did know there is a info in registry but did not know where

Here is the code for comparsion with current TBGL attached.

Petr

Attachement removed

I get around 15 FPS from the EXE version.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

My brother can see weak performance and my friend too - all have ATi Radeons.

I am afraid my "great" optimization is GeForce only - I get 30 FPS on very slow GeForce.

And I was not using specific extensions, just vertex arrays in special way, which is OpenGL 1.1.

Why ATi, why

Thanks,
    Petr

thinBasic MVPs

on my work computer its around 3-5 fps for both versions
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi
    I get around 15 FPS from the EXE version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas
    on my work computer its around 3-5 fps for both versions
    Lol, on my new computer I get 1.72 FPS.
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

thinBasic MVPs

whats the spec on that monster matthew?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast