Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Software

thinBasic MVPs

3D Software

Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Re: 3D Software

Hi Abraxas,

I have used anim8tor for a while, but just of modeling not animation.
    Its interface is looking little bit odd, but there is nice power to create some symetrical shapes.

But to be fair, for this I liked a little bit more Wings3D, but just a little
    Wings3D is very good for things like animals, characters ... generally live beings. Or symetric stuff like crockery, UFOs ...

Fact is that last time I used Anim8tor was about 2-3 years ago, so it can be even better now.

Terragen is not exactly a modeling program - it produces high quality images, and also nice heightmaps ( should be usable with TBGL BMP2M15 convertor, but did not have time to test it right ).

The others I do not at all.

Bye,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

My experience is pretty much in line with what Petr wrote. For quick modeling Wings3D is very intuitive and you can make very nice low poly models.

Anim8or has very nice tutorials and you can also do some cool animations in a short amount of time. Just to be able to do a quick full little animation, Anim8or is nice because you have a very good chance of getting through a tutorial and doing something cool.

Terragen is a terrain generator and I use the older version and that is how I make the skybox textures you see in some of our demos here.

Truespace is a very fun and powerful program. If you can ever find the one book written in how to use Truespace I highly recommend it. Written by an enthusiast with many industry contacts, one of the books I always think about when thinking about fun learning experiences. Truespace 3 is now free.

Of all the 3 mentioned above, Truespace is the one to use for all purpose.
    Here are wonderful video tutorials on using Truespace. Very Very well done and I still watch them to get inspired.
    http://www.kidzonline.org/TechTraini...3D%20Animation

Another very powerful and free application I highly recommend is Blender. It is difficult to learn but there are wonderful video tutorials for it too.
    And if you watch this course you will have a good enough idea of how to go about doing very cool things. There are numerous tutorials all over the web for Blender.
    http://ocw.tufts.edu/Course/28/Supplementarymaterial

A new application I have yet to really learn is Houdini. It is being used by more and more studios and highly recommended by Buzz at 3DBuzz.com.
    They have a free version for learning and personal non commercial use that has a small watermark. They also have a $99 version for hobbyists that gets rid of the watermark. They have very nice video tutorials for it and a free Houdini classroom is starting at 3dBuzz.
    Houdini is very powerful from the videos I have watched so far, but also immensely complicated. It is a lot less complicated compared to previous versions because of the standard type interface they have created. Right now without knowing too much, I really don't see it being used for making game content other than maybe the videos. I hope that is covered sometime in the future. It is really geared towards state of the art visual effects.
    classroom info: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_houdini.php
    Houdini videos: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...=14&Itemid=305
    The above are not ordered from beginning level to experienced, so keep that in mind. You sort of need to figure out the order to watch them in.

If you want to make game content to use with thinBasic programs, I highly recommend Blender or Blender with Wings3D.
    The reason is Mike wrote a very nice plugin to export from Blender to m15 format that tbgl uses.
    This means you can export in any other modeling program to a format you can load or add on to in Blender and export it out to use in your apps.

Truespace would be another good choice and then just do the conversion in Blender.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Dont forget Petr's OBJ converter, this way you can directly convert OBJ files without the need of BLENDER.

Yes,

any modeler supporting OBJ export should be usable in thinBASIC. The converter is here and should be stable now.

I have tested it with Wings3D, ZBrush, MoI, Blender ( although here is preferred to use Mikes direct exporter ) OBJ exports and it worked ok.

In anim8tor you have to click Object/Export and then you can write OBJ out too. I tried basic shape and conversion to M15 went smooth now.

Blender is very powerful, used for majority of TopDown graphics. I never mastered Blender well, but Mike and Kent are living proofs that it is possible to learn it on top level.

Another interesting tool is MoI - you model using NURBS surfaces, but OBJ export can be polygonized quite easily.

There is also thinEdge, modeler I did as primary M15 generator in the past. Unfortunately I cannot recommend it as #1 now, better to go the Blender->M15 or OBJ->M15 way.
    I am working on new thinEdge, easier to use, with more precision. Once finished, I will release it along with flood of tutorials. But it will take time.

Bye,
    Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

Ive been trying 3d canvas V7 (dec 2007) but it seems to crash every couple of minutes but good interface.

Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Blender is very powerful, used for majority of TopDown graphics. I never mastered Blender well, but Mike and Kent are living proofs that it is possible to learn it on top level.
    Kent is for sure. My models come 99% from Hexagon -> Blender -> M15 .

My head is full of holes :-\

You are right, I completely forgot it.
    And the mighty "stinky bug" ship as well?

Thanks,
    Petr

First Moi and now Hexagon, you guys found different tools for sure.

I totally forgot about the universal obj converter as not modeling right now...

I got an email from Caligari, Gamespace with some video tutorials for possible $99, they got some strange deal
    where you order and if enough people order it will be at a lower price... I don't like open things like that or it would have been a good deal
    at just $99 for making game content with the tutorials to learn. Something to look out for though in the future I guess.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Gamespace is for sure a good package. I used TrueSpace 6.6 for a long time and because of its visual UI,
    I got along well. Gamespace is based on TS 6.6, so for 99$ you get a very good modeling package.

I personally like these (the more the cheaper) deals. I did it a few times with FlStudio and only had advantages from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.