Thread: win98 themes and screensavers

win98 themes and screensavers

Right now I'm running windows xp home and I was wondering.... I still have my disks of win98 and would like to get the themes and screensavers out and use them on xp.

Does anyone know if this will work? I really like the screensavers that I had when I was running win98 better than what I've got with xp.

Thanks
    Sandy

thinBasic MVPs

Re: win98 themes and screensavers

if you have winrar installed you can access the CAB files on the disks.

look for *.scr files

I wouldnt use them myself i think the OpenGL support is a bit suspect but I dont use a screen saver anyway i just push the button on my monitor.

Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

I can open the cab files... I'm just not sure what files I would need besides the .scr files.

I wouldnt use them myself i think the OpenGL support is a bit suspect but I dont use a screen saver anyway i just push the button on my monitor.
    OpenGL support is a bit suspect? I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks
    Sandy

I am also not sure ???,

I am developing TBGL on Windows XP Home, and for this OS I got best drivers from hardware vendors.
    Important is to have installed drivers for your card, then no problem should occur.

Try latest Radeon drivers for Windows98... not bad until you see speed/ogl version of those for XPs.
    Both ATi and NVIDIA now ignore Win9x/ME systems for longer time and develop ICDs just for XP and Vista.

Maybe you meant "default" XP OpenGL support ( software render ) ?

Bye,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

sandy the .scr files are the screen savers you dont need anything else, just copy the files to your c:\windows\system32 directory.

When I was repairing and still now sometimes I get computers that crash and that gets traced back to screensavers I find that turning them off fixes the crashing problem driver updates dont always do it.

You may not have a problem with XP as the drivers are a lot better now.

Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Thanks for clarification Abraxas,

I never met PC with such a problem, but good to know.
    Source of that PIPES screensaver is part of some MS documentation, I will try to find possible problem.

Thanks,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I finally got around to trying to get the mystery.scr screensaver to work. It turned out to be easy.

All I did was put 4 files in the system32 folder and it works like it should.
    WL32DLL.DLL
    WILDLB32.DLL
    MYSTERY.SCR
    MYSTERY.DLL

For some reason though it is called wildlife in the list of screensavers. I don't really care what it is called since it works.

Thanks
    Sandy

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.