Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: about Psch

about Psch

Inspired by others, please let me introduce myself

My real name, as you probably know, is Petr Schreiber.

I am 21 years old, I live in Brno, Czech Republic
    I am currently studying 3rd year at University in my city, still living in the house with my family : parents, sister, brother, tomcat, 3 dogs and one white rat

So unlike other guys on forum I have not wife nor child yet, although during last summer some baby on street showed to me and said "father" ;D

I am interested in computer related things, especially 3D graphics, game programming and taking (digital) photos. I also have positive relation to animals, although I am not pretty sure I am ideal "parent" for adopting those creatures :-\

I started programming when I was 10, on programmable calculator HP-42s, which I still have and use. As it has graphic function set and matrices it is dream machine for me.

PC programming I started on school course, using Turbo Pascal, but in fact I did not learnt anything and just got wrong opinion about Pascal language.

When I managed to get on highschool, my parents gave me Toshiba laptop ( 486SX25, DOS + Win3.1 ) which I used first for QuickBASIC experiments. I was little bit depressed by QB IDEs tendence to correct my code, so I was thinking of going to "that tool father uses".
    It was PowerBASIC for DOS. My father is ubercoder, so I thought I will get similar results soon.
    "Surprisingly" results came slower than expected. I tried to write games, first text based adventures with ASCII graphics and later SCREEN 12 colorful things. I spend about 2 years enjoying PB/DOS, which was ideal for my purposes.

Envying my friend in school, which "already did Windows apps and I was still stuck in DOS" , I made a slight pressure to move to PB/DLL, but I was not ready. Ignoring father warnings I was drowning in PB/DLL 6.0 for long time. When OpenGL headers by Sublevel6 group were released for PB, I woke up. I was 15, I got new PC and OpenGL looked cool!

Sadly my PC 3D card did not supported OpenGL in hardware, so I had to think carefully before executing my first 3D apps if it will be worth watching slideshow.
    When time runs slow, I at least could learn OpenGL deepely, to make it run even in its unaccelerated mode.

Then I bought my first 3D card, Radeon 7000. I wanted to write games at first place, but I could not effort 3DS Max ( which was only tool I knew used for modeling ), so I experimented with SoftCAD for a while, writing exporters producing, ahem, PB OpenGL code directly. Then I started to create my own 3D tools, to be not dependent on functionality of other software and their complicated binary formats.

In those times I bough ZX-Spectrum for ridiculous price, to improve my 8bit knowledge, it is still working

I got two friend on highschool which helped me a lot on job of designing 3D editors, they did testers for me and I got nice feedback from them

Using my "ModelEd 1.0" technology we, me and my friend as modeller in this esoteric editor, managed to sold first app for money, editor for designing school classes written in PB/DLL 6.0. It is still used, you can see result on our customer web site. I developed special cartoon rendering for this project, but as you can see our client does not use this feature at all . This project was very intensive test of my skills, I almost got mad but all ended ok and there are no complains. Or the guy lost my adress ;D

I tested on my friends 3 products, and each new was in their opinion worser than the one before. They prefered easy to use, very basic functionality, I wanted universal tool, which ended in "ModelEd 1.5" - tool with my own scripting language. I loved it. They hated.

This started kind of programming crisis, in conjunction with leaving highschool and "upgrading" to university quite a double shock.

Luckily that year we got ADSL internet ( till then 14.4 modem ), so I could start to learn new technologies and saw Eros post on PB forum about thinBASIC first official release! I was interested, as I wanted to compare it to my solution, in mentioned editor. Wow, well Eros did it better and I liked the profesional and friendly way of supporting the product, so I am here . And things get better and better

Including TBGL in official release was like Xmas^2 and got me out of programming crisis period for sure.

I think most of the programming I learn(ed) in years with thinBASIC, all people here are very friendly and big brains, so I could see and do things I thought never possible.
    This forum is place I visit every day to meet real friends, at least virtually.

I am sorry this got long but it had to get out
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: about Psch

Thanks Petr for the inside view.

You have a rat? That's great, I love them. Any pictures of it?

I had one too but had to put her to sleep last year because of a tumor. Never got one again as I was very attached to it.

:'(

That is sad Mike,

but rats are very sensitive to such a things, but you know it...

Here is photo, not best one, but she is moving too fast to take better
    Also art co-model for psch.thinbasic.com forum logo

Petr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

She's a cutie, what's her name?

You think you know someone and then you find out they have a Rat... ok Petr, do I really know you?
    Ok for a rat, I must say that is a good picture as the rat does not look menacing and cute.

Now I want to see photos of your other pets too.

Loved the story about the baby on your street calling you Daddy!

I was glad to read of your hardship with powerbasic in starting out, now I don't feel like such an idiot.

I think that is cool you started programming on your calculator. A wonderful way to start I think. I was always curious how you ended up with Basic as I thought anyone young would be drawn to Java, so now with history it makes more sense.

Anyways enjoyed reading your story, thanks for sharing!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Mike,

shes name is Emily

Another pets photos , I will try to find some.

Loved the story about the baby on your street calling you Daddy!
    Well, I am still a bit scared

My calculator language is not much BASIC, more kind of nicer assembly with strings, matrix and complex numbers support:
    LBL "HiKent"
    "Hi Kent, how are you today"
    AVIEW
    PSE
    "Enter number:"
    AVIEW
    R/S
    X>0?
    GTO A
    X<0?
    GTO B
    X=0?
    GTO C
    LBL A
    "Bigger than zero"
    AVIEW
    XEQ I
    LBL B
    "Less than zero"
    AVIEW
    XEQ I
    LBL C
    "Zero!"
    AVIEW
    LBL I
    "End of proggie"
    AVIEW
    END.
    I did not go Java way because of OpenOffice "speed" ( uses Java ) on my older PC and its syntax.

Bye,
    Petr

Man, I think you got me hooked again. On the weekend I will visit the animal shelter to see if they have some rats.

Go !

Rats are really awesome creatures !

Petr

I remember Petr when you wrote about your HP calculator experience, I thought it was neat because you then start out with this very low level language and it makes sense on the platform it is on. I never knew how you went from that low level stuff to Basic instead of on to C++ or Java. But now I see the path and also that PowerBasic can go very low level like C, so it is a clearer picture now.

I like animals, but I don't think I can warm up to a Rat, hearing your guys stories about your rats as pets will be enough for me
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

What I like about rats is their personality. I compare them a little with cats. They are smart and you can see definately if their like someone or not. Some rats are smooth and easily fellows, some are mean. You better not get your hand next to them or your missing a chunk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast