Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about Michael Hartlef

about Michael Hartlef

So folks,

I guess I post something to about myself.

Well, I'm currently 41 yrs old and live in Leverkusen, Germany. Leverkusen is best known for being the hometown of the famous chemical company BAYER who produces ASPIRIN.
    I'm happily married to my wife Katherine and have a wonderful 8 yrs old son Marc with her. She has another 3 kids, but they are grown up and either live with their dad in the USA or on their own.

In my daily job I work for the local utility company and be responsable for the billing system (SAP) we use. I have to customize it and create reports and statistics. So coding is a big part of it. But not in thinBasic, the language is called ABAP.

In my free time I do a lot on the computer. I can relax this way much better than with sitting infront of a TV. Coding, music and graphics are my main interest. Of course, play a game or two. I'm very lucky that my wife is into computers to, so we even play against each other or work together on some POSER stuff. I used computers since I am 18, my first was a Commodore C64. Then it was a Amstrad(Schneider) CPC464, Commodore C64 (again), AMIGA 1000, ATARI 1024 STF, AMIGA 500, and then only PC's.

I still remember the time when I didn't had a computer, but my best buddy got a C64. He lent me the manual for a night and I create a 2 player WORMS game on paper over night. Next day I went to his house, typed it into the machine and we had some great time playing it.

Like I said, I'm into music, graphics and coding.

Music wise I play guitar since I'm 22. I even played in 3 metal bands at that time. Heavy Metal is my favorite music but I love other music styles too. With the help of some soft and hardware I try to create my own songs, but so far nothing much saw the light. I hope this will change in the future.

Graphics wise I got more and more into 3D lately. It's first real usage was for the TopDown3D game that we create here. It's a lot of fun and will come to more and
    more use too.

Coding wise, well, there is a lot. Main interest here is game coding, but my biggest and also finished project is a 3rd party IDE for some basic dialects like IBasic Pro and the BLITZ range. It supports more languages too but IBasic Pro was the language I created it for initially. After PYXIA got sold I was asked by its current owner to take care of IBasic Pro's 2D command set which I greatly enhanced. And because of IndeED, the 2D pak and many other addons I created, not only for IBP and thinBasic, but also for 3D Gamestudio, I call myself a tool/addon/support coder. Game language wise I used and still use DarkBasicPro, Blitz3D and BlitzMax, 3D Gamestudio, WME, GameMaker. Then I got Delphi, Visual C++, IBasic Pro, PureBasic and PowerBasic. And ofcourse, thinBasic. Lately I got more and more into game coding again and wanna do this much more.

I consider the thinBasic community my home forum. It is small but we have great people here which help each other a lot and we have no attitudes here. I simply love it here.

I hate people who are fake and untrue. Honesty and trust is a very big thing for me. Once someone kicked me in the but, I have a hard time to forgive them. there I think I'm like an elephant. ;D

Guess that's all for now. If you have any questions, then please ask.

Cheers
    Michael

Re: about Michael Hartlef

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for your info. What exactly you did for 3D Gamestudio ?
    I knew you are Heavy Metal guy, but that you even played in bands thats cool !

Thanks,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Let me see, I created a MP3 addon, a 2D drawing addon, a video playback addon, a CDplayer addon and a tracker player addon. They were created for version 5 of 3DGS.

Lot of stuff,
    sounds good.

Thanks,
    Petr

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Very interesting history Mike. And really quite a lot of development you have done that made impacts on the respective languages you made them for. So glad you are here at thinBasic now to bring your skills and creativity!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

You love HEAVY METAL-i can belive???
    I'm also i have 39 year old WOW.
    Scorpions,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden,Rainbow,MotorHead,Metallica
    AC/DC,Whitesnake,Deep Purple,LED Zepelin,maby i forget some?

Welcome to HeadBanger Programmer's Club zlatkoAB

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/headbanger
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

ROFL, Headbangers Programmer's club. I love that term.

I am back

Hi folks,

got a real windows machine again and guess what, I have installed thinBasic on it. Long time since I have touched it but I am glad it is still in development and existing.
    Like before, this community is still a small and quite one, so no change there. Let's see how TB has envolved over the time I was away. :-)

Happy coding
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast