Thread: Most efficient integer data type for small numbers?

Most efficient integer data type for small numbers?

What is the most efficient integer data type (for speed) for small numbers? For example, if I need a variable that will only contain a value between 1 and 10, is a byte data type the fastest?

Seems I read somewhere that in a 32 bit operating system, that a 32 bit variable (which would be a DWORD or LONG in thinBasic) is handled natively, and is the fastest. Other size integer types have to be converted into 32 bits, and hence are slower.

Any truth to this, or am I all wet?

Randall

Re: Most efficient integer data type for small numbers?

Randall,

due to its interpretative nature, making such consideration in thinBasic is quite hard because most of the execution time is lost in interpreting the script and not reading/writing/converting data types or handling memory.

But back to your question, it mostly depend on the compiler used and the quality of the machine code generated.

Personally I've done many tests in the past on this matter using Power Basic compiler and I found that LONG are far the best interger class in terms of speed. Much much faster than DWORD. The reason is related to bit sign handling but this reason can be Power Basic specific and not a general reason.

Comparison example: http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...NG+DWORD+speed

From the thread you can see ...

######################################################################
    DWORD
    DIM d AS DWORD
    d = 2
    d = d + 5

compiles to ..
    004010AB |. C745 80 02000000  MOV [LOCAL.32], 2
    004010B2 |. B8 05000000     MOV EAX, 5
    004010B7 |. 8B4D 80       MOV ECX, [LOCAL.32]
    004010BA |. 03C1        ADD EAX, ECX
    004010BC |. 8945 80       MOV [LOCAL.32], EAX

######################################################################
    LONG
    DIM l AS LONG
    l = 2
    l = l + 5

Compiles to ...
    004010AB |. C745 80 02000000  MOV [LOCAL.32], 2
    004010B2 |. B8 05000000     MOV EAX, 5
    004010B7 |. 0145 80       ADD [LOCAL.32], EAX

As you can see there are 2 lines of instructions more to handle DWORD and this takes time.
    Also one important thing to remember is that DWORD data type is optimized to store handle or pointers to memory areas. So they are not optimized for math. While LONG seems more related to numeric expressions.

So my advice is to always use LONG when math is involved (even a simple + or - operation) and DWORD when memory handling or pointers storage is the main target. But again, inside and interpreter it will make not any difference. 99% of the time is lost for parsing :-[

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Forgot to say about BYTE, INTEGER and LONG.

Use INTEGER only if passing parameters BYREF to a function explicitly asking for a INTEGER (16 bit) or in a UDT (TYPE/END TYPE) structure requiring an INTEGER element. Similar considerations about BYTE but maybe other considerations can be taken into account for BYTEs.

In all other cases, using LONG will be better and you will not have any problem of values overflow. Consider possible value ranges too: http://www.thinbasic.com/public/prod...cvariables.htm
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Very interesting, thank you for the detailed explanation, Eros!

But now you have triggered my interest in how an interpreter works, which you have probably already answered and I should just search.

Is the short answer, it takes the source code, parses it, and converts into assembler?

Thanks,

Randall

Quote Originally Posted by Randall
    the short answer, it takes the source code, parses it, and converts into assembler?
    NO unfortunately.
    At that point I would have a ... 90% of a compiler

Regarding [wiki=Interpreter_%28computing%29]interpreters[/wiki], there is not one way to do the job (as usual).

What most of the interpreters do is to take a source code, do some parsing, transform it into an intermediate code more easy to manage (sometimes called pCode) and than start the execution process using the pCode. So consider pCode an intermediate step between source code and compiled code. First version of Visual Basic did this process. Later versions produced compiled code. Imagine the pCode like a sequence of blocks made by 3 or 4 numbers (depending what technique used) telling what instruction it is the current one (command, variable, jump, ...) and some additional info each specific to the current operation. Interpreter engine will follow the pCode sequence understanding what to do.

thinBasic does not use any intermediate pCode but just pure continue parsing of the source code. Of course parser makes a lot of optimization at avery step otherwise execution speed would be hundred of times slower. And thanks to this continue optimization we think thinBasic is quite fast in many circumstances. I have to say that this technique is not used so much I have to say. Almost every other interpreter I know use pCode (or bytecode).

Who is in change of all this work in thinBasic: thinCore.dll is the engine and 90% of the job is done there.
    All memory handling, internal data dictionaries, script execution, script flow, module handling is done there.

Maybe more info will follow if interested in more details but now it is 03:56 in the morning here in Italy and I really need to rest a bit

Ciao
    Eros