Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New modules in development?

New modules in development?

Hi folks,

are you working on new modules for thinBASIC?

Just to let you know, I started to work on a new module that let you calculate
    paths on a user defined grid. The nodes of this grid can have 3D positions and don't
    have to be ordered in a regular shape.

Development is going steady and it is another proof that thinBASIC's module concept
    is the best thing since sliced bread. ;D Ok, I overdid it here but I'm allways amazed
    how easy someone can create new functionality for thinBasic.

Cheers
    Michael

Re: New modules in development?

This is perfect Mike!

I am sure in cooperation with TBDI and TBGL it will help to create very interesting scripts !
    I think you said you have experience with it already, so I am sure it will be another great module.

Bye,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Yes, it is a much more enhanced version from the days I was developing it for the IBP 2D pak. It will be quite an arsenal of functions to get/set node properties, calculate the cheapest route, calculate costs(distance for an example) between nodes, get the closes node to a position, load, save, etc.!

Hey, this is a great surprise !
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Wow! I'm really looking forward to seeing this! This will be a great addition to thinBasic, especially for the game developers.

I've implemented the A* (A-Star) path-finding algorithm in a number of languages to gauge the speed of the language, and because I find the algorithm very interesting. I've started developing the same application in thinBasic to see how the speed compares, but since this is my first thinBasic program, it is progressing slowly.

I'm really excited you are developing this module!

I'm also very interested in this type of programming: Steering Behaviors For Autonomous Characters and OpenSteer.

I believe your new module will make this type of programming easier.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Randall

Hi Randall, thank you!

But don't stop working on a A* implementation as mine isn't A* implementation. I think I based it on Dijkstra's algorithm. It so long since I first worked on it, that I can't remember 100%.

Here is a wikipedia collection of algo's if someone is interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortes...lem#Algorithms

Randall,

for such algo we usually tend to write compiled modules due to necessity to have high speed.
    In any case, if you produce something like that in thinBasic, I will be very curious to see results.

In any case, thanks a lot for your contribution here.
    Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Thanks Mike, a paths module, well almost I would call it an ai module is really great news!!

Mike are you allowing for future hooks or tie ins to reacting or setting off triggers? I just wanted to mention it now, as a feature request.
    Even thought we don't have a trigger system, it might be nice to plan for one and setup future modules at this level of ai to tie into it.

Anyways thanks for taking on this project. Sounds like it will be very robust and awesome to use!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi
    ...for such algo we usually tend to write compiled modules due to necessity to have high speed.
    I can appreciate that. When I first started playing around with the A* algorithm, I created a simple maze solving application using the "C" language. It had a timing feature so I could see how long it took to find the best path through the maze. Later, I created the same application using Visual Basic 6.0. The VB6 application would take 10 times as long as the "C" application to solve the same maze. I then created the same application using Javascript, which took 100 times as long as the "C" application to solve the same maze.

In any case, if you produce something like that in thinBasic, I will be very curious to see results.
    I'll be working on it, but it will take some time. After working my full time day job, and working on an old house I am restoring, I don't have too much time for working on it. I'll let you know when I have something to show.

In any case, thanks a lot for your contribution here.
    I wish I could do more to help... perhaps in time I can contribute more.

Randall

@Kent: What do you mean by triggers? Remember, you can't run script functions from within a module.

@Randall: Don't worry about contributing. Even your suggestions and ideas are a big help for the ones who work on modules and thinBasic itself. That is what makes this community so special. For an example, take the recent topic about creating textures from memory. A lot of ideas were brought up and I'm sure it will end up in a great addition to TBGL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast