Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comm_Recv causes thinBasic to crash

Re: Comm_Recv causes thinBasic to crash

Eros,

I have tested the "testmodem.tbasic" script although I had changed the one line but I put it back to Comm_recv(hComm,nBytes,sBuffer) which I believe was the original line. Once I put that line back in I started getting the GPF again.

I am using the command correctly? I haven't messed up the order of the variables etc?

Regards
    Bevan

PS as for patience, I really don't mind helping with this problem as I can see the usefulness of the software.

Bevan,

can you please check thinBasic_COMM.dll version right-clicking on it , choose Properties menu and than see Version tab. It should show something like 1.0.9.x
    If this is the case, please check attached file.
    Substitute:
    thinBasic.dll in \thinBasic\
    thinBasic_COMM.dll in \thinbasic\Lib\

TestModem script is the same as old one I suppose.
    If all will work now I will explain the problem in next post.

Thanks
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hey Eros,

You have done it, all is fixed ;D

Thank you very much

Bevan

and yes the version of the thinBasic_comm.dll was version 1.0.9.1 which I think was the version I downloaded from download.com

download.com ???? We are the only original ;D ;D

OK, now some exaplantions. In the recent past we had some licence problems with the company producing the compiler we use to build thinBasic.
    As you may have read here in the forum, thinBasic is developed using PowerBasic Compiler.
    To manage serial communications we have used compiler internal built-in serial communication functionalities. We were warned by PowerBasic Inc. not to use them in native way (directly wrapped I mean). For this reason we stopped to release thinBasic_COMM.dll in official thinBasic releases. In the meantime we have review a lot that module and we are quite close to have a module that will not directly wrap PowerBasic serial communication functionalities.

That said, if you need something on COMM module and it will not be afficially released yet, just ask and we will fix or implement as needed.

Ciao
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

And, forgot to say, I'm very happy to see thinBasic can be used for real world problems.
    We use thinBasic a lot in the company we work for and we know it can be used for many purpose. For this reason we are committed to make it as stable and fast as possible.

Feel always welcome here for any requests, critics or bugs reporting. User opinion is our best troubleshouter and thanks to this we are where we are now with thinBasic.

Ciao
    Eros

download.com was where I first learnt of thinBasic. so they are to blame for me hassling you

I'm assuming that I can still use a line such as Comm_Set(hcomm,%comm_baud,1200) as all the gear I am connecting to was developed around that lower baud rate, as I only have the one serial port on this laptop to test data in both directions I will have to do the final testing tomorrow on my work desktop.

Thank you for your assistance with all this. I have found thinBasic to be very enjoyable to work with, my current project needs a bit of tidying up and I have yet to develop a "database" of all the games to be played, but I have plans on how to do it.

Please don't take offence, but this software is being used to replace a Tandy TRS80 that is currently controlling the scoreboard, but is maxed out on memory use, and has limited functionality, and each weeks games are programmed in as data lines, weekly.

Regards,

Bevan

I will send you a copy of my project when I have got it finished for you to have a look at.

Yes, you are right on download.com !

On connection speed, yes, it is fine.

Offended, absolutely not
    I'm just worried about long run script. I mean, how long will the script need to be executed? Make some tests before official run. Let the script executed for a night or some hours and see if any corruption. Recently I fixed a memory leak problem (fixed in the thinCore.dll you have now) that was not releasing few bytes every run in user defined functions. So, execute the script and see if used memory by thinBasic is stable or not. You can do it by executing the script and looking in task manager process list. Would be quite bad to have your scoreboard hang during the game :-[

Ciao
    Eros

PS: please find here attached a revised help file with COMM module help. Official one have no COMM module in help file (for the moment).

Hello Eros,

Not sure if i have done something wrong, I replaced the 2 help files in the help directory, but now i get page can not be displayed errors when I look at the help from the thinair menu.

Bevan

Do you have XP SP2?
    Did you download zip file and open directly instead of saving to disk and than opening from there.
    If this is the case I think it is a XP Sp2 protection.

Go to IE and clean the cache
    Download thinBasic ZIP help file from previous post and do not directly open but save to disk
    Than open ZIP file and extract .chm file placing into \thinBasic\Help\ directory
    Let me know if now it works.

If this is not the case, I have no idea and have to think to something else.

Eros

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.