Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comm_Recv causes thinBasic to crash

Comm_Recv causes thinBasic to crash

Hello All,

I'm new to thinBasic, but so far I have been quite impressed on how easy it has been to use, in fact it structure is close to the same as that used by Citect, which has probably made using it easier for me.

However I want to recieve one character of data every now and then to control a Clock that I have built for our local hockey club. When ever my code get to the line "Comm_Recv(hComm,nBytes,sBuffer)" even in the sample code, my thinBasic crashes with "thinBasic Language Interpreter GUI Application has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I have seen others mention the use of API to get data in and out via the serial ports, can someone give me an example of that use?

Regards,

Bevan Daniel

Re: Comm_Recv causes thinBasic to crash

Hi Daniel,

wellcome here.

I will check if I find something wrong with COMM_Recv function. The error you get seems a GPF (general protection failure) and usually happen when application try to get/set data into an invalid memory address (pointer).

In the meantime, can you please be so kind to give me some info on you operating system?

Thanks a lot
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hello Eros,

My Current machine is a IBM Pentium 4 3Ghz with 500Mb of Ram running Windows XP Professional, version 2002, service pack 2.

The Error Signature is:

AppName: thinbasic.exe AppVer: 1.4.0.0 ModName: thincore.dll
    ModVer: 1.4.0.0 Offset: 0002cf94

I have also attached the error report incase that is helpful.

I have also included the script I have been working with, I must admit I have been a bit slack with commenting what everything is for. Basically the script will send out a serial string (not yet implemented) of clock data and I have built a remote control that has two or four buttons depending on which remote is being used. this allows the game to be started and paused remotely. The remote reciever generates the letters "a" or "c" depending on which button is pressed.

I have tried the sample code "testmodems.tbasic" and it gives the same errors.

Thank you for you help

Bevan

I didn't check your example but I checked thinCore.dll (the main thinBasic parsing/interpreting engine) and I hope to have fix the problem.
    Please download new thinBasic.dll and substitute the one present in \thinBasic\ directory.

Please tell me if ok or still GPF.

Thanks a lot
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

I checked the console screen of your scipt. Nice, nice one. Thanks for using thinBasic.

I will check the full script this evening when I will have more time for this. For the moment I would like to concentrate of GPF and fix the problem you are having as soon as possible to give you the option to go on with your script. Let me know if previous attached thinCore.dll solve the problem or not.

Thanks a lot.
    Eros

Hello Eros,

Thank you for you fast response to my problem.

Unfortunately, the new thincore causes a new fault "The procedure entry point thinBasic_IAm could not be located in the dynamic link library THINCORE.DLL."

Regards,

Bevan

Bevan,

what version do you have installed of thinBasic?
    If you have installed thinBasic 1.4.0.0, the thinCore.dll I sent you cannot be used because I sent you thinCore.dll version 1.4.0.1
    You need to download and install thinBasic preview version 1.4.0.1 from http://www.thinbasic.com/index.php?n...&orderby=dateD and than replace thinCore.dll with the one I attached to previous post.

As you may have read here in forum, we have 2 line of development: stable and preview.
    Stable version is the one we officially release after some months of tests.
    Preview version is the one under development and changed every time we fix important bugs. After some weeks of tests (in some cases some months) we release preview version as stable and start again a new preview development phase.

We will update stable version in first weeks of september.

Let me know.
    Eros

Just one note.
    In case you move to preview version 1.4.0.1, you will not be able to create bundled executable with this version due to missing sincronization with thinBasic protection dll (thinVL.dll)

Preview version 1.4.0.1 add the following changes to stable version 1.4.0.0: http://www.thinbasic.com/public/prod...l?whatsnew.htm

A new preview version is quite ready to be released. Important bugs has been fixed.

Ciao
    Eros

Hello again Eros,

Yes I was running the 1.4.0.0 stable version, I have now downloaded the 1.4.0.1 version and replaced the thincore.dll as per your request, however I still get the GPF when ever the Comm_recv line of code is processed.

Regards,

Bevan

OK, thanks. I will double check again all your script code and thinBasic interface.
    In my tests with modem all seems working fine.
    Can you please be so kind to confirm if TestModems.tBasic script is still generating a GPF after new thinBasic version installed?

Thanks a lot for you patience.
    Eros

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.