Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TopDown Alpha 3

Re: TopDown Alpha 3

... and I was happy I reached 472
    Perfect!

kryton, take your time, hope you will like it.
    New version is a bit more difficult, till Alpha 2 there was a bad factor causing different level difficulty on different PCs ( badly time-scaled shooting periods of enemies ); Alpha 3 should be the same on wide range of PCs

Bye,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

It starts out way too hard, how are you guys getting those scores? You guys are too good.
    I will be happy to get over 300, that is my first goal!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

I can't get TopDown Alpha 3 to download. Since no one has said anything about having trouble I'm sure there must be trouble on my end. This is the only thing I can't get to download. I only get about 75% of the file.

Can anyone suggest what I should check on my computer or something I can try to get this zip file?

Thanks
    Sandy

Sandy,

clear your browser cache. Close/open agaim browser.
    Usually this solve the problem when partial downloads.

Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

1764 !
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

nooo,

this is impossible
    My record is 580 :P

Bye,
    Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

For reasons unknown I still can't get Topdown alpha 3 to download.

Is there somewhere else I can try to download this zip file?

Thanks
    Sandy

thinBasic MVPs
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

@Sandy or you can try here:
    http://www.kryton9.com/web/topdown_alpha3.zip

@Eros you are incredible, that score is even beyond unimaginable.

@Petr your scores sound really good too.

I think the game would be even more fun it if had levels that started easy and worked there way up.

Also maybe have just one enemy ship but in formations sort of like space invaders or actually more like galaga.
    The formation would fly and one would or 2 would peel off and do an attack run.
    And to get away from the enemy shooting so much and filling the screen with fire everywhere.

Had a fun idea. When the level loads and before the actions starts, a funny looking but cool ship ("the mine layer") would appear and leave random space mines all over the center third of the screen. Like a buffer from the enemy to the player. As shots and ships crashed into them the mines would clear allowing more space to fly.
    THis would add the restrictions of the many gun blasts from the enemy now serves but adding variety. the screen size could be adjusted for play, just an idea to start at center 1/3.

Also it would be nice if our ship had an option, to repair, that is where powerups could come into play. Maybe a fast moving object to allow so much damage repaired and even one super fixer repair powerup. Also the big bomb a rare powerup but one that gets rid of all enemy ships onscreen. Also another powerup the wingman, you hit that powerup and you get a wingman till he gets destroyed.

So level 1 would have the simplest enemy ship design and simplest player ship. Then level 2 would have the next enemy ship... player ship would be first ship till all enemy ships are beaten in each level, then player ship goes to next design and cycles through again through enemy ships. THen once player reaches the last player ship the game play becomes more like what it is now. Everything all over the place and mayhem and big challenge.

I understand the idea of the player ship damaged having minor explosions throwing random movement, but it is really confusing. As you see the ship exploding when not getting hit and having bigger explosions then when it is hit. I would just have that happen as the ship is hit. It makes more sense and would add to the feel of the game.
    Your ship gets hit, you see an explosion and feel it with the jolt in movement.

Ok now back to more playing. Thanks for this version, it is a challenge!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Thanks guys for alternative hosting!,

I was out of the city so I could not help, good to see people here is so helpful! ( but it does not surprise me )
    I have tried to download from here on another PC and it was ok too, so not sure where is problem

Kryton, next game will have levels defined in files ( including formations, AI, ... ), so there will be more control over the game ... and also more space for others to add custom content.

Your ideas are very nice Kent, I am sorry exploding ship confuses you so much. Maybe it would be better to make it behave like that only from 80% damage and up ? It could eat 1% of life with each mini explosion, so player would have to gain 100 score points ASAP to save his life ? But I can add it to classic shot hit only too, I don't know how much this feature bothers others , I meant it to make gameplay more rich...

Bonuses are spice of this kind of game, what about those:

- Health
    - Rapid fire
    - Shield
    - "Escape barrel roll" - It would allow to make barrel roll with move up to avoid enemy lasers ( using special button ).

I am very happy I can see about 34 downloads just one day after publishing. Thanks to all who downloaded!
    This definitely adds more power to go on with project!

Thanks,
    Petr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast