Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TBGL Font Creator [ UPDATED Feb 23 2013 ]

Possible small Font Creator correction?

Hi, Petr
    I realized that BMP fonts have excellent quality if 2 conditions are met. 1 - good font file and 2 - TBGL window working with antialiazing and filtering on. The texts are simply great. The problem is that the font creator app handles only 512x512 pix image files. 512x512 will be ok for small size texts if text quality in the file is ok but the truth is that the antialiazing and the alpha channel are not very good. 4 times super-sampling can fix the problem. I can do it manually its not big deal.

Is it very hard to change it to work with bigger files? Like just add some more values in the image size drop-down menu. 4k x 4k will be really great. Well generally 1k x 1k will be sufficient for nice texts on screen but final texture will be scaled down (sub-sampled) by factor of 4 /like in Photoshop or something else/ so any aliazing issues will be gone. Even Intel GMA adapters handle 4k x 4k textures well nowadays. Its some kind of nightmare to write good quality texts in DX or OGL.
    Last question: is it possible to redirect text output to texture instead of screen ? Its just a question.

Plamen.

Hi Plamen,

thanks a lot for your suggestion!

I will implement first the pick of resolution and then I will look into the direct texture creation, which sounds like a good idea as well.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Plamen,

please visit the first forum of this thread for update version of the program .

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Font Creator

Thanks a lot Petr,
    It's awesome. I tested 4k x 4k and after down-sampling to 1k no traces of aliazing are visible. Letters are beautiful. You are my hero!!!!!

thinBasic MVPs
    I just wonder why this is not built-in at thinAir-Menubar "Tools/Utilities" yet?
    Could it be improved just a little bit so user can select distance of shadow from letter?
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Hi,

I updated the program with user defined shadow offset, please download from the first post of this thread

Petr

If you don't mind using standard TrueType fonts, used by the system, Opengl outline fonts are very versatile. (wglUseFontOutlines), Scaling is unlimited and they are even fast enough to use for an editor.

Charles

thinBasic MVPs
    cool!

I like it, especially fading effect is very cooooool.

thinBasic MVPs
    Sorry if double-post, but I miss that tool still beeing accessable on thinAir Tool\Utilities-Menu - would be nice to have it next to Charmap there.

...so I had to download it once again...

Some crazy idea I just had:
    create some "sprite-sheet"-sized to a fonts format and use TBGL_PrintBMP for the sprites then

Would it be possible to load and display fonts which are not currently installed on the system?
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 23-02-2013 at 11:47.

Hi Rene,

Some crazy idea I just had:
    create some "sprite-sheet"-sized to a fonts format and use TBGL_PrintBMP for the sprites then
    to use TBGL_PrintBMP for sprites you just need to supply image with sprites placed on grid 16x16 tiles, then it should work.

Would it be possible to load and display fonts which are not currently installed on the system?
    I don't know where would the program take the information about how the font looks in such a case
    But you can generate the BMP/TGA on system where font is and then use this BMP to draw this font on any PC from the bitmap.

Sorry if double-post, but I miss that tool still beeing accessable on thinAir Tool\Utilities-Menu - would be nice to have it next to Charmap there.
    Please make the request in the support section - this is the place where developers go to check what is needed to add.

Thanks,
    Petr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.