Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ODE - Open Dynamics Engine

ODE - Open Dynamics Engine

Hi,

I am posting this stuff to vaporware section because it is in extremely early stage.
    I started to convert ODE headers to thinBASIC, partly because the could come generally handy an partly because I don't want to use other languages for my school stuff ;D

ODE serves for physical simulations.

Please find here two attached scripts, first is just computional, second the same with TBGL display.
    As I said, it is very early stage, extremely simple sample, but I hope you will find it interesting.
    The scripts are based on PyODE samples for Python, but as I don't like the way Python does OpenGL ( it is 100% ok, but too much work ) I did it in thinBASIC.

I started to do direct C/C++ to thinBASIC translation based on ODE 0.8, I am probably at 2% of translation , but it is interesting experience.

Bye,
    Petr

ATTACHEMENT REMOVED - OBSOLETE ! PLEASE GET LATEST ODE HERE
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: ODE - Open Dynamics Engine

Petr, Way to go. Glad you are using a popular physics engine. Can you keep the prefix short, tbode is getting long I guess it is shorter than tb_ode

So you started with python ode, but are now going the full c++ version conversion, that sounds like it will be adaptable for future ode updates easier that way.

I don't know how you are doing all of this, but I can tell you I DO APPRECIATE IT BIG TIME!!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hey Petr, do you know the difference between vaporware and real work?
    This is real work, maybe in progress, but real.

So, only for you (tadaaaa...) a new dedicated forum for this project that (I'm sure) will be a another Petr present to thinBasic community.

Thanks a lot
    Eros

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Howly cow I see this become handy. Thank you soo much!!!

Question: Do you mean converting C++ headers to TB or do you do a whole conversion of the ode sources?

I checked it, runs fine. Man, I'm so happy about this. I hope I can create something so it will be usefull. Thanks again.

thanks a lot guys and thanks for new forum!

I am just converting original headers directly to thinBASIC, in case of OpenGL I had the advantage of very compatible headers from PowerBasic, so it was less work to me

I plan to do complete header like conversion as Eros tuned DECLARE way to be extremely fast. Maybe when I will get general idea how ODE works, DLL wrapper module could be done around, but now it seems speed won't be issue.

kryton, I will maintain original names for functions, this will allow to learn painlessly from sources over net.
    Mike, just headers, translating whole source would take ages and I am not sure if it would have finally any benefit.

Thanks,
    Petr

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I thought it was just headers but who knows how crazy you can get
    Anyway, I count you now on it. I was just playing with your sample, having different keys adding different forces. It was real fun.

Do not forget to post some examples

Also remember to create single thread in order to be more easy to follow any improvements. You have now a full forum.
    Maybe also nice to make a stiky post for source update.

Let me know if you need other sub-forum

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Great Physics has its own forum, mean lots coming in the future!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hi guys,

what to do when 90% of translation is complete and you realize you was not consistent in doing the translation in diverse cases ...

I am writing auxiliary thinBASIC script to help me, it already does in a milliseconds what I was doing for hours, stay tuned for first complete ODE header !
    I was very surprised how fast thinBASIC performed the translation, because I was writing the code like a ... pig ( lot of redundant actions ).

Bye,
    Petr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast