Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TBGL experiments 2007

Re: TBGL experiments 2007

Petr, the texture was procedural in Blender for the tunnel. I just wanted to see how they worked.

I will try to export the path and tunnel as obj, if I can.

In looking at my first terrain model, there is a lot that is wrong with it. So I will definitly start from scratch. I did manage to get the polycount down to 1/4 the size by using some tools in Blender, so there are many things in blender to help that way. It is just a matter of learning them

Blender has a limit of size you can make. I am not sure, I read somewhere 1000 blender units, that would be 500 units each half.

I will make a simple test maximum size so we can see if can go into thinEdge and how it comes out in thinBasic. I will attach that to this message as simple enough to make.

I need to figure out a few more things in Blender to do my totally custom terran with total control of the shapes. I watched the videos but watching and doing are another matter I found out before going to sleep

I will need to attach and make it later as I need to run errands, I tried making it huge and it crashed Blender. I will work on it when I get back home.

Love the idea of a volcano too and plants and things, forgot about them.

I will do a quick skydome test too when I get back, your idea of atmosphere engine is great, but for now while we develop all the engines, and also to see alternative ways to do things, will do skydome.

About tbgl command, could a universal link command be made, to link one object to another so transformations will apply to it too.
    This way the camera could have a light, a missle for example attached to it without needing special commands. Just one parent or link command.

This way smaller rocks could be linked to a bigger rock for example and if we made it tumble the smaller rocks would tumble with it. So once command could serve many purposes.

ANyways more when I get back tonight.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Petr, here is a size test. I had many crashes in blender and thinEdge, mainly because I went too big and ran out of memory or something.

The blender model is 500 x500 blender units. I exported the obj and imported it into thinEdge and saved the m15 file. As you can see in thinEdge we are only seeing just a very small area of this test.

These files are probably of interest only to Petr, so I don't recommend anyone else downloading them unless really curious.

Writing this part after more tests, it seems blender units and tbgl units are the same. I just made a default 2x2 plane in blender and it came into thinEdge as 2x2 also. Upon even more testing, I see that 200 x 200 is the maximum that shows partially in thinEdge, but not as much in thinBasic. These are the second attachments.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

Started the low poly terrain. This is the start of the volcano. As you can see I am being careful and will get rid of any polys that are not seen as in while building the volcano lava arch. It is lots of fun modeling in Blender. I notice there are some tools or equivalents of things in 3dMax that I haven't found or know if they exist, but the work flow with the great Blender interface is a lot faster I think.

On 3dBuzz, I had asked what modeling package they recommend to get ready to model things for the new games coming out. And I mentioned free software, they recommended Maya as they have a free PLE (personal learning edition) which has no time out. You can save your models out, but to render or do animation you have a watermark which is really annoying, but understandable that they are doing that.

This is good to use Blender though to put it through its paces and to see what is missing or harder to do. For instance I didn't find an easy way to add noise to a model as I could with 3dMax. I am sure it is in blender somewhere, just haven't found it yet.

Anyways here is a screenshot of the volcano version 1 low poly work

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi kryton9,

first to annoying things - problems in thinEdge and TBGL rendering.

As your meshes are quite big, please do following in thinEdge:
    Once model is loaded, press [F12] and in "Grid" enter for example 500, to not restrict your moves. Then go to [rendering] tab and in DrawDistance enter 500 to see more far. Now all models are viewed whole and correctly.

In TBGL scripts:
    Before rendering starts, use:
    [code=thinbasic]
    tbgl_SetDrawDistance 500
    [/code]
    This will set draw distance to 500 meters / units, instead of default 150.

Also - to prevent problems in scripts, check in your script the
    [code=thinbasic]
    tbgl_m15InitModelBuffers numModels, numberofvertices
    [/code]
    ... number of vertices should not be lower than the biggest model has !
    You can see number of vertices in thinEdge again on [F12] setup, in [Informations] tab.

So as you can see, no limits in terms of visibility in both tools, just need to adjust some things.
    The settings are implictely on low distances as I used thinEdge to create smaller models.
    But if you want to see 2 kilometers far, like in FarCry, no problem.

thinEdge is not limited to 1000 units, I have tested areas like 20 x 20 kilometers. Next versions will bring even more precision and distances. But the 1000x1000m in Blender is limit which is reasonable for most level design.

I'm very sad thinEdge crashed during your tests, it should not. How much triangles the model had ? I have tried over 500 000 triangles mesh on my box and it displayed ( speed was nothing super ) without crash.

Volcano looks very nice, maybe it could have wider base. I don't understand why the "bridge" has no polygons in upper part, but as it is work in progress, I believe you are working on it
    It looks promising, it reminds me of some scenery from brothers favorite game Elder Scrolls : Morrowind

I have tried Maya PLE on XP box, it has lot of nice tools like grass and so on, but I wasn't able to create something precise, not speaking of frequent crashes while changing camera and cryptic format is weird too. But I believe full version is good, as LucasArts use it for movie stuff.

I'm all for your work in Blender. I can see huge skill progress in it, and it is always good to master 1 tool 100% than just "be ok" with 1000 other modelers. As long as we can make it interface with m15, I have nothing against Blender.

Universal link in TBGL sounds cool, I'm writing it on wish list.

Sorry for my delayed and brief answers, it should be better not later that in month.

Thanks a lot,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Petr, everytime you write it is with great news. I am so glad we have unlimited site and within reason big levels

The arch was in progress, I got rid of all the polygons in between, I was going to keep taking screenshots, but got lazy. This is just the tip of the volcano, it will be a mulit-tiered big Mama

Heading to bed, as you can see doing poly by poly almost for total control. Lots of fun!!

Good night kryton ,

wow, this version looks very very good!

Regarding OBJ import, I am prepairing separate application to provide very deep settings regarding texturing ( get from original, remap using other technique, ...), scaling and others. It is something like 3 step setup process ( select files to convert, setup conversion rules, convert and place in directory ), very easy to do.

Hope to release in Q1 2007
    It will give me idea of what all is needed during import process and it will open doors for thinEdge plugins hopefully.

Bye,
    Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Sounds very exciting Petr, will sleep well thinking of the possibilities!!

Petr, testing skydomes tonight. Found a nice free texture on the web and made my skydome and it renders nicely in blender without seams or repeats.

I am having problems bringing it into thinEdge and getting the mapping correct. Attached is the blend file, the bmp texture, mtl and obj file exported from blender.

It will be neat to use skydomes and will quickly add to the atmosphere in the tests and games

http://www.kryton9.com/web/posts/gam.../skydome01.zip

Very simple test of how liquids might be handled flowing from higher level to lower level. Sounds a lot more fancy than it is.

This is how I was thinking I could model water, lava and other liquids. Make a mesh where they would be seen, instead of using a plane.
    This is a test where the whole lava mesh is one model. Makes it harder to map. I will have to learn how to uvmap and unwrap in Blender

Anyways just some simple tests tonight. Hand modeling takes a long time, so I wanted to get the simpler things out of the way and to make sure we can make it look right before putting too much more time into it

Attached Files Attached Files

Hi kryton9!,

you surprise me every day.
    Another 2 new things ... perfect

I'm not on my working computer, so no chance to test the second lava sample because I don't have Blender here, just thinEdge.

Regarding skydome, on image it looks very nice. Problem in thinEdge is in fact, that Blender did not exported the UV coordinates, maybe you forgot to check them for export.
    In such a case thinEdge is forced to "invent" them using very basic technique.

In OBJ, all texture definition lines start with "vt ", while your OBJ contains only "v " ( vertices ) and "f " ( faces ).

Can't wait to see lava when I'll be back on my box.

Thanks,
    Petr

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast