Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TBGL experiments 2007

TBGL experiments 2007

Petr, I decided to start this thread to discuss tests we do with TBGL and all the new work you are doing on it.

I am working on hand making a terrain model in Blender to give us something to use for tests.

The goals:

Terrain that is hilly, has a high element where water can come as a waterfall into a pond. A cave tunnel combo that will twist and turn
    from lower elevations to higher elevations in the mountain.

I will place a sky dome to see how it will look. Let me know of any other features you would like me to model into it so we can use it for testing.

I was thinking at the top when you come out of the cave have a transport area like Stargate, to send to another higher ice/snow mountain to test out ideas in that environment. The ice and snow area will be visible in the distance from this green water area and vice versa when over at the icy highlands.

We can add buildings, roadways, bridges etc. think of anything else you might want and I will keep modeling the terrain.

Petr, at least tonight I didn't crash Blender doing crazy operations. This is too high a poly model, so I am going to start over trying to conserve polys and put more where detail is needed.

The blender grid represents what I would consider the water level. You can see the area that will be the waterfall. Below the waterfall area would be a small opening leading to a cave tunnel that goes to the top of that peak. At the deep end of the pond, there will be another hole going into an underground pond and cave. But as i said this is going to be dropped for a new model, but something to look at and think of ideas.

I am going to read to see if I can figure out the units and scale in blender. It will be nice to make a cylinder the size of a human or rectaingle to get an idea of scale.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Re: TBGL experiments 2007

Terrific idea kryton9,

please get ready for simple script preview, when night will raise in central europe
    I have something to do now, but today I'd like to show you tiny preview. It will requiere TBGL from "brave" version.

Bye,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Kryton9,

can you please also attach a little preview JPG of your blend file?
    This way also others not having Blender can see and maybe been interested.

Thanks a lot
    Eros

PS: stable thinBasic 1.2.0.0 will be release by today.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi,

I cannot dedicate to it more time today, I must do ... something So I post it here.
    This is just 1-2-3 quick sample in thinBASIC we can use for improving, not much work, I have just remapped the UV maps, created texture, added light ( early morning / late afternoon setting ) and reference person ( origninaly free obj model, but thinEdge crunched it ok ).

If you have a while you can watch the water - it also changes it's transparency in special places when it's right time .
    It is done using "model shader" approach, which allows to change model parameters at run time.

I am sorry no waterfall is here, but I am little bit time limited .
    Curious about your opinions how to implement water fall, I have few ideas but I must go now. Will be here in few hours I hope .

Bye,
    Petr

P.S. Eros, I have attached the original Blender model, second image is "in game" and third file should be the ZIP which will allow you to check it real time ( [F1] for help )

Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I've just one word: wow
    Great discussion and many things to learn.

Thanks guy.
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

happy you like it, kryton created very nice mesh in Blender!

To use it in thinBASIC scripts, I needed to just load it in thinEdge, rotate to XZ plane ( Blender seems to have Z axis as up, while thinEdge and some other modelers use Y ), and play for a while with texture mapping coordinates.

The final "megatexture" was produced from textures captured using my digital camera. Then I used picture editing program to put it together and blur all details , so it looks more like hand drawn in the script ( this is more accident than intention ).

Fun part was the basic water. It is again thinEdge mesh, just gently tesselated square. I put it on the places, where water should be.
    To produce the animated effect, I made the water mesh texture animated using TBGL commands in real time. During this process I also reassign colors ( just tones of gray ) to vertices, which in blending mode results in variable transparency and tiny shinning, to make the water more dynamic. Finaly I put this two water patches in opposite sense over each other, which makes crosswave impression.

And the guy on the shore, almost no work!. I just used public domain model, and rotated his arms to be parallel to body. It results in little bit weird shoulders, but who knows, maybe he is ill :-[

Looking forward to the waterfall discussion , and also impatiently waiting for low poly version of krytons terrain ( although this high poly mountains I like too, and they are not so slow! ).

Bye,
    Petr

Quote Originally Posted by Psch
    ... and also impatiently waiting for low poly version of krytons terrain ( although this high poly mountains I like too, and they are not so slow! ).
    More than 150 FPS on my box

WOW!!

Petr you amazed me more than I could imagine today in so many ways!!!.

That looks incredible. I got 120 fps on my computer, so maybe the polys are ok.
    I will work on finishing this model version tonight then after getting things done today.

Petr your texturing and brining the model in really is impressive, the scale thing you worked out great it seems
    with that fellow observing the view, nice touch. I love the lighting too, really nice.

The waterfall is something we can experiment with later, particles or plane with motion of water or combo of the 2
    is what I am thinking. If you notice I also made little water stream areas leading to the top pond. This is in case we get
    adventurous and want to add streams.

I will model in the tunnels and cave tonight and then work on a bridge, and a cabin later in the week. Think of anything else you would like.

I also need to work on a skydome.

But your work has really inspired me Petr, thanks so much and in a busy time of the year with school too. thanks so much.

@Eros,
    glad you liked it, but Petr did all the magic, I didn't think we could use that model other than looking at it in blender to discuss ideas.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

Petr. can I save out bezier curve or nurbs curve as a path that tbgl could use, for instance to follow for auto camera movement along the path? Also can we parent let's say a light to a camera so as the camera moves the light moves with it? I know you could tell the light to follow the same things as the camera would in code, but I was wondering if a link to parent type structure could be used.

And of course restrain to path or move along path type commands.

I see my mistake in the model, I didn't allow enought space for the upper level ponds water plane.

I will try to go from scratch and try to keep it lower poly where not needed and subdived where it is needed to see how it works too.

Well more in about 10 hours before I got to sleep and hopefully will have something cool to share. I can't stop playing with your mountain.zip example, you made it look so nice!!

Later now, I spent about 3 hours watching more blender videos to learn the skills to do some more testing and make a better model. The rest of the time it took me a long time to make this little test. But I did learn more about blender in doing this.

Now I will start on the lower poly very controlled model development for the terrain. I will do the ponds, waterfall and streams first, then model in the tunnels and caves and then do the rest.

But here for now is the path, and tunnel test. In blender I setup multiple windows, there is a text file and object viewer which makes it very easy to select what you want in the scene. An animation control is also there, so just click play to see it play in blender. I also attached a rendered MSVideocMPG4Version2Codec.avi with a texture on it.

I don't know if you can use the path in thinBasic or not, but it is there.

The light is linked to the camera, the camera follows the path. The tunnel was made based on the path too. Hope it gives ideas for more things for tbgl in thinBasic.

The zip contains the blender file and small avi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

thanks for nice words, especially when read right after waking up

It seems you guys don't have frame rate troubles at all ;D. On my PC I get 40 to 42 FPS, doesn't matter which resolution in this sample. Fast enough for me. I was afraid of the per vertex water function to be one of the bottlenecks, but it has no impact on performance on my box. It seems somebody developed fast interpreter here .

The water streams are nice thing, of course I noticed place for them on the model!

I have also one heretic idea - the current terrain is modeled very nice, but its borders are something hard to continue, would it be possible to make a slightly modified version, which will have look of island with some mountain / volcano in center, but borders under the water level ?

Maybe it could have similar polygon count as current model, but scaled to bigger area, for example 500x500 meters. Current terrain is about 200x200.

This would allow to place more things on the island.
    Regarding new ideas for this project... as we know x, y, z coordinates of each terrain vertex, we could place here vegetation and other things specific to height. For example - in lower parts some bigger trees, in higher just bushes and so on. Placement of the vegetation separate models could follow such a rules.

Regarding the skydome, I'm not sure how do you want to create it. Terragen and similar programs can be used to produce textures for skyboxes and so on, but this stuff works good only for fixed day time and need high resolution to look good. I was thinking of making general, but very basic weather mini engine. You could pass for example time, and it would automatically set sun position and proper light properties for such a part of day. The clouds could be nice when done in some particle / pseudo volumetric way too.

kryton9, thanks for sharing the Blender animation! Problem of using it seems to be in fact, Blender does not export any geometry from the scene to OBJ. Maybe there is something in Blender which allows to convert tunnel to polygonal model? Now it seems to be general shape. Regarding beziers, not sure how to export them too. But if you could give me the "anchor" points, it would be possible to restore it. How did you created the texture, is it something procedural ?

Your idea with camera and light sync is very good. I will think about possible implementation of it. Would it be ok for you for example tbgl_SyncLightWithCam %GL_LIGHTn, on/off flag ?

Thanks again,
    Petr

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast