Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Software Protection...

Blog Entries
    This topic could have evolved into forging an approach together to get proggies checked in a way the customers don't get false alerts once they reach their PCs.

Searching for the mistakes on the other side is... the simple approach to feel better, for a while. Not an effective approach to make things better.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 7 64bit - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce G210M 512MB
    Windows 8 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 8 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GT640 3GB

Blog Entries
    One cannot fix, what they haven't broken. An indie developer is only responsible for bugs in their software, not the software of AV vendors. It would be nice someday to have a round table with indie developers and representatives of all major AV vendors. Probably would never happen as it would turn into a bare knuckle brawl with the amount of abuse indie developers have had to suffer through from AV developers over the many years.

Back to BASICs...

I compiled one of the samples for the latest version of PureBasic, 5.61 at this writing. PureBasic has certainly become bloated, the canvas gadget example compiles to 291k for the 32-bit version. Virus Total triggers 3 warnings on this one. The only one of any remote popularity, is McAfee and it hasn't been too popular since the DOS days. Even in the latter DOS days, I was using F-Prot as it was a better product. Still, McAfee manages to get itself on many systems as shovelware.

Blog Entries
    ThinBasic, trying the AntiTetris example. On VirusTotal it gets a score of 3 and the only major one is McAfee. Awesome score IMHO.

Compiled size is fairly comparable to what the same thing would be in PureBasic. The more I use TB, the more blown away I am by it. I can definitely see myself releasing some software in TB and not using it just for prototyping. I had to make a few tweaks to my registration method being used, but it now works flawlessly with TB created EXEs.

Blog Entries
    Does compressing with UPX has anything to do with the false alerts? If yes, I suggest not to compress anything TB related to avoid such false alerts.
    Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200.

Blog Entries
    Compressing with UPX is not an automatic symptom that let an AV software to say there is a threat.
    Would be that simple ... I will remove UPX right now.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | psch.thinbasic.com
    Win10Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12