Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PixelArt - Clouds

so much new

Hi Petr and rest of the great group here. There are so many changes to thinBasic, you guys have been busy!
    It will take me awhile to get up to speed again, but I am looking forward to it.

I got 73 to 74 fps on my Acer Notebook using Intel graphics. To see the changes to the clouds, I recommend a divisor of 0.01 on line 11
    instead of the 1000 that is there now.

It is weird, with my nvidia card enabled the frame rate is at 30 to 33, then it jumps to 76 to 78 and then back to 30 to 33... I checked my
    vertical synch was turned on. When I turned vertical synch off I got a steady range from 61 to 66, slower than using my intel card? Ah the mysteries
    of graphics!

Ciaooooooooooooooooooo Kent
    Happy to see you again here around.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Just in case you need to profile which sub/function is performing slowly ... thinBasic has an internal profiler.
    Just add the following line
    #Profile On

in your source code and at the end of script execution you will get a window like the one attached that will show list of script functions, how many times are called, time taken to load/unload/execute, ...
    In this script there are few functions executed thousand of times per seconds. Little optimizations in there will produce great results in execution speed (hopefully ).

Ciao
    Eros
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Eros, my journeys the last 4 years have been lonely. But I got to explore in the vast wilderness of languages, game engines and saw massive changes that are too hard for me to keep up with anymore.
    thinBasic and Oxygen have always been on my mind. The community, support and the wonderful language is not matched in my journeys. Just quickly glancing you have done a lot from the IDE
    to really making the language even more capable than it already was!

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Just in case you need to profile which sub/function is performing slowly ... thinBasic has an internal profiler.
    Just add the following line
    #Profile On

in your source code and at the end of script execution you will get a window like the one attached that will show list of script functions, how many times are called, time taken to load/unload/execute, ...
    In this script there are few functions executed thousand of times per seconds. Little optimizations in there will produce great results in execution speed (hopefully ).

Ciao
    Eros
    That is so cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kryton9 View Post
    It is weird, with my nvidia card enabled the frame rate is at 30 to 33, then it jumps to 76 to 78 and then back to 30 to 33... I checked my
    vertical synch was turned on. When I turned vertical synch off I got a steady range from 61 to 66, slower than using my intel card? Ah the mysteries
    of graphics!
    Hi Kent ,

there are no mysteries - this is the danger of v-sync. If it cannot match refresh rate of the monitor, framerate drops to refresh rate / 2.
    To quote TBGL documentation for TBGL_UseVSync:
    Use this statement wisely, it will always lead to rendering of complete frames without "tearing" artifact, but it can hurt overall framerate.
    Problem is, that when framerate is lower than limit determined using parameter, observed framerate can drop to half of it.

Example on 60Hz display:
    Script runs at stable 100 FPS - using TBGL_UseVSync(1) you will get 60 FPS guaranteed
    Script runs at stable 40 FPS - using TBGL_UseVSync(1) you may get 40 FPS again, or 30 FPS depending on vendor implementation ( equivalent of TBGL_UseVSync(2) ( 1 more than passed ) )
    I will consider adding hybrid vsync, like in Gears of War, to elArt framework. That would reduce these drops (which might be the ones hurting primo as well).

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I added triple buffering to gitHub of demo_pixelArtClouds, that could offer better smoothness.

As for the real time profiling, I founded new project, perfish, which I will work on in the following days.
    This will be the component providing view on frameRate and other metrics...

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Got an error from the download from the last link Petr to triple buffering update. Include not found.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hi Kent,

because the repository uses submodules, you need to prepare it like:
    git clone https://github.com/petrSchreiber/demo_pixelArtClouds.git
    git submodule update --init --recursive

The first line is what usually git client does for you (GitHub for Windows, GitExtensions, ...). The seconds need to be done manually.
    In GitHub for Windows that would mean choosing the repo, then clicking the gear button and picking Open in Git shell, where you would type "git submodule update --init --recursive".

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 05-05-2017 at 11:40.

I didn't use git client, just the web interface. I used the download zip button. Easier to use for me the old manual way
    Last edited by kryton9; 05-05-2017 at 11:55.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast