Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PowerBasic v9.07

Hi Eros,

Now quite honestly, what does this mean for the future of TB?

what does this mean for the future of TB?
    does not means anything, because TB have many additional functions to make the life much easier, i have downloaded PB but find it hard to use, so just now i am using thinbasic every day because its string functions are easier to use than PB, too many functions are easier to use than PB, also its debugger is much useful and can pinpoint the error easily in contrast to PB ide, also the interpreters have their special usage such as for educational purposes, i can't describe the many features specific to thinbasic my brain is frozen from cold. all in all every language have its characteristics and its usefulness in specific areas.

Quote Originally Posted by axelmoe View Post
    Hi Eros,

Now quite honestly, what does this mean for the future of TB?
    I am not Eros, but I think it won't matter much as long thinBasic is compatible with current Windows Versions.

thinBasic is developed mainly using PowerBasic 10.x version.
    Almost all thinBasic modules are developed using PowerBasic 9.x or 10.x

Now that PowerBasic 9.x is released as free ... everyone willing to develop thinBasic modules can do it for free using thinBasic SDK.
    There is an article on how thinBasic SDK works in thinBasic Journal 2 at http://www.thinbasic.com/community/s...ournal-Issue-2
    Also unzip SDK in \thinBasic\SDK\ directory to see how to develop a thinBasic module using PowerBasic.
    You need at least be familiar in developing a DLL using PowerBasic or other languages.

That said, the fact that PowerBasic is not developed anymore (as far as we know at the moment) it doesn't mean anything.
    PowerBasic 10.x is a great compiler with great features and will be perfect as long as 32bit will be enough and managed by operating Windows systems.

Anyway, we are also looking in other directions but so far we've not found anything else we are confident and comfortable with.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Eros,

many thanks for your concrete answer. Why I am asking?
    From my point of view TB is a very powerful programming language that is easy to learn
    and for me it was only the question whether the announcement PB has a direct impact on TB development.

Kind Regards,

Axel

I hope i didn't ask this before. Can PB9 be used to create TB classes? And if yes, is there an example available? First i would want to do is turning my modules into class based ones. Unless you suggest otherwise.

emm ...

Using PB10.x classes is all quite easy.
    Using PB9.x I think it can be done but at the moment I've not an example. Give me few days and I will try to create a sample module

What happen internally when you create a TB Class is that thinBasic Core engine will maintain a special internal variable and will expose/pass to the module functions a 32bit pointer you can do to do what you prefer.
    In PB10.x it is easy to use that pointer to allocate/deallocate/manage a full class and PB will do all the job.
    In PB9.x you need to allocate/release memory when needed.

Anyway I will let you know.
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Michael,

good news. I forgot that PB9x already implemented Classes and Interfaces.

Attached a revised module developed by Petr and compiled with PB905 (so PB907 is better I suppose)
    You can get the idea on how to implement a TB Class, how to add Methods and how to handle Get/Set in Properties.

The included approach is the preferred one.

There is also another approach to implement TB Classes that is to pass all parsing needs to a user functions.
    Is a little more complex because developer is in charge of all parsing stuff but gives more freedom.
    If you are interested I can create an example but not immediately.

Let me know.
    Eros
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Eros! As always you are as quick as possible. I will check these sources tonight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12