Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bundle .exe needs UAC? Any way to prevent this?

Bundle .exe needs UAC? Any way to prevent this?

So I made this _awesome_ application in ThinBasic that auto-updates firmware of an embedded board I designed (The EiBotBoard) and it works just great. I'm super happy with ThinBasic.

I bundle the TB program up as an exe for my users to download and run to update the EBB boards with new firmware. But when you run the app, the User Account Control dialog box comes up asking if you want to allow this application to make changes to your PC.

Normal application obviously don't have that (unless they do something like modify drivers or stuff like that, which my program does NOT do). How can I remove that from my bundled application? What is the 'trigger' to Windows to tell Windows that it should bring up that dialog box? I have to use the OS_Shell() call in my app - is that what Windows is looking at to know if the UAC should be used?

Thanks!

*Brian

Hi Brian,

we are very happy you find thinBasic useful! To be able to to analyze the issue you are observing better, information regarding operating system where you observe the behavior would be helpful.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Petr-

My apologies - of course that would be helpful! I completely forgot.

OK, so I've run this app on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10, all of them 64 bit versions and all with the latest updates from Windows Update.

I get identical behavior (UAC dialog : "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?") on all three OSes.

*Brian

Hi Brian,

thanks for reporting. It is an area I didn't investigate so far.
    some info can be found here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905330.aspx
    I will check what I can do.

eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Brian
    i think it is not possible to disable user account control from outside exe file since it is a security feature for win7/8/10. i always get this message "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" when running most exes on these systems. usually i use windows xp/32 installed in i5 desktop pc, there is another win7/64bit installed in partition 2 of this desktop pc.
    i suggest to disable UAC on the computers running your exe ( if it is dedicated for long time usages of your exe else it is not advised)
    google suggest to disable uac:
    Here is one of two ways to turn off UAC in Windows 7:
    Access User Control Panel from. Start Menu. Control Panel. User Accounts and Family Safety. User Account.
    Click on User Account Control settings link.
    Move the Slider to Never Notify.
    Click OK to make the change effective.
    Reboot.
    Disabling UAC on Windows 7? - Super User
    superuser.com/questions/83677/disabling-uac-on-windows-7

there another way to access easily all win7 features: is to use what they call god mode
    To turn on God Mode, create a new folder on your desktop--or anywhere you'd like--and name it: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} The resulting folder will contain 270 items, representing virtually every configurable option in Windows 7, including accessing UAC

Brian,

is it possible to have a copy of your executable in order to test its execution here and see what's going on?

Thanks
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Brian,

is it possible to have a copy of your executable in order to test its execution here and see what's going on?

Thanks
    Eros
    Absolutely! You can see the final .exe file as well as the source here : https://github.com/evil-mad/EggBot/t...are/EBBUpdater

Let me know if you have trouble downloading it or anything.

*Brian

Under Windows 10 it seems that creating a Shortcut to your Exe then going to shortcut Properties/Advanced it is possible to check "Run as Administrator"
    This remove the UAC dialog.

Still not understood why UAC comes out for this Bundled Exe.
    I'm studying ...

Is it possibly something to do with the machine that I created the .exe bundle on?

What happens if you take the TB source and bundle it on your machine - does your created .exe bring up the UAC?

(note if you run the .exe in a directory that already has the two included files, they will be deleted after the run, and then when you try to make the bundle again you won't be able to. So move the .exe out of that directory before trying to run it.)

*Brian

I think part of the problem is that the .EXE is downloaded from a web page.
    And I think it is the same if the .EXE comes from a mail or a .ZIP inside a mail.

If the .EXE comes from a Setup, it should be ok.
    I will make some tests in the week-end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast