Thread: Cancel TBGL_Window-closebutton?

thinBasic MVPs

Cancel TBGL_Window-closebutton?

Is it possible to avoid closing the TBGL-Window via the System-Window-Close-Button ("X", up-right, red mostly if you point it)

I want to ask my user, if he wants to save on exit ("Yes|No|Cancel")
    - but in case he closes the window using the system-close-button, i can only offer "Yes|No" currently
    (in some "lost-on-screen, small" msgbox that can be easily overseen because it has no parent...)
    since the window is closed and resources (as Fonts & Textures) are released already.

Can i trap this?

From visual basic i know there will be raised an event

simplified example:

Sub myWindow_Close(ByRef Cancel As Boolean)

' if the user sets: 
      Cancel = TRUE 
      ' within this sub then
      ' window won't close

End Sub

can we bind something as this:

TBGL_BindWindowEvent( hWnd, %TBGL_OnWindowClose, "myWindow_Close")

???
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 30-11-2015 at 14:34.
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Usually the way to prevent closing in User Interface scripts (and standard Windows) is to use this method:
    http://www.thinbasic.com/community/s...0172#post70172

I do not know in TBGL Windows.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Rene,

I think the easiest approach would be to eliminate the close box, if you don't want it.

Instead of:
    %TBGL_WS_WINDOWED | %TBGL_WS_CLOSEBOX | %TBGL_WS_DONTKEEPASPECTRATIO

...use just:
    %TBGL_WS_WINDOWED | %TBGL_WS_DONTKEEPASPECTRATIO

Another alternative would be embedding the TBGL into ThinBASIC dialog - then you can handle all events you need.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Binding the close event is technically possible. I am just scratching my head whether to go this route or not.
    I would not like to end up duplicating the UI stuff we already have in... UI module. Let me think about it!

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs
    TBGL works windowed too - not limited to fullscreen only.
    So we should be able to react if the render-surface is about to disappear and to make sure the user really wants this before all resources are destroyed - or should we just rigorous create them again?

I would not like have to port all stuff to a canvas - to rewrite all the input and to enlarge the final bundle about the size of UI-module for just this - since it's my intention not have to Uses "UI" nor Callbacks and the reason to create own controls only using TBGL_Rect & TBGL_PrintFont2d. Later I will add rendering quads and some simple to use texture-handling (mostly loading of many different file-formats) for some textured controls. Then the re-creation could become a little more effort.
    Still there's no window but just the small, easy to oversee msgbox that keeps the script running.

I try to avoid to Declare external Subs & Functions as much as possible- so I'm already really happy about TBGL_PushLogicOp.

But in case there were a possibility to use some win32-function that allows to cancel the window closing then i would prefer it over Uses "UI".
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

I think Petr was referring not to transform into a Canvass (too much work) but to have a TBGL control over a standard UI Window (TBGL_BindCanvas) in order to let the Window to handle non TBGL events in a callback.
    The rest would be handled as usual in TBGL.

An example in C:\thinBasic\SampleScripts\TBGL\EntityBased\TBGL_Control_Targeting_GettingInfo.tbasic

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Eros got it exactly as I mentioned - on the other side I understand Rene's avoidance of multi-module scripts.
    I will have a look during weekend, I think I should be able to achieve what is needed

Petr

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.