Thread: Problem with MS' Recent KB3013455 Update

Problem with MS' Recent KB3013455 Update

Hello guys,

Those who are still on XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003 and 2008, beware of Microsoft's recent KB3013455 security update! You will be getting it from MS' download service in the usual way under Vista/2008, or through the WEPOS/POSREADY registry hack under the now unsupported XP Sp2/Sp3.

This update breaks the rendering of certain screen fonts, e.g. the Courier New family, on your monitors.

Windows 7 and 8/8.1 are not affected by this regression.

Now MS offers a patch (KB3037639) to fix this font problem under Vista/Server 2008 while still keeping KB3013455 in place. Unfortunately, XP/Server 2003 owners cannot enjoy such support any longer. So, those of you who were unfortunate to come to trouble through that WEPOS update, have only one option to get rid of this glitch, which is to rollback your system by uninstalling the problematic update altogether.

There are still no comments from MS if a patch to fix the said font problem will be downloadable at some future point in time through the WEPOS update service too (which will be reportedly available till 2019). Until then, avoid re-installing KB3013455 accidentally with other updates that will be coming through the WEPOS update service in the future.
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Thanks Mike,

I had noticed this anomaly of the degradation of text quality when I downloaded the latest thinbasic beta today and ran my adventure program...
    I have Vista. It certainly was curious and I had no idea what was causing it!
    I downloaded and installed the fix from Microsoft (KB 3037639) that you referred to and it seems fully corrected now.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
    catventure.
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)