Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excel COM question...

Oops! I guess you meant VBA. ;-)

Petr,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but while having and Excel file open ... and then saving a short script to an external VBS file (from within TB), then shelling to that script file ... would have no affect within Excel itself since is an external script? It sounds like I'd have to write the entire application in VBS (open the Excel file, etc.) then shell to it.

As I mentioned, I have never used VBS and for the most part I have only used VBA as a reference for the functions I need to translate to PB.

So, I can see TB acting as a menu (or controller) for the scripts, but I guess I can't imagine being able to mix the TB COM statements with the VB scripts. Unless there is a way to run those scripts as MACROS within Excel itself.

Just my guess.
    Jerry

Jerry,

Can you post / attach some code (PowerBASIC maybe?) so we can try to help out? That's what makes the BASIC community interesting is there multiple ways to accomplish the same results. In the end everyone learns new tricks.
    Last edited by John Spikowski; 22-07-2014 at 03:55.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

John,

I can probably cobble together a piece of code that demonstrates some of the PB COM syntax and results, but I can't post anything that exposes any of my project (proprietary to the company). Anyway, give me a little time and I'll try to illustrate a few Excel things.

Basically, the company I work for is being shut down by the corporate office. The system I use is not compatible with theirs (one reason for the re-write). I am trying to find out more details of what will be required ... and when. It seems I will have less time than I had expected. I talked to the head of our IT department and he suggested that I do the re-write in PB, comment the heck out of it, hand over the EXE and source code (not the compiler) ... then it's THEIR problem from that point on if they need something new. With that in mind, I'm thinking that pursuing TB COM much farther is not going to be a viable option. I'm sure it works just fine ... if you know how to use it, but I'm definitely not at that point. ;-)

So, give me a little time and I'll come up with some example PB code. :-)

Jerry

I have taken one of the PB Excel examples and modified it with a few items that are generic rather than directly associated with my project. In doing so, it occurred to me that apparently there are different interface with COM. These use the IDBIND (Dispatch) Interface. I wonder if TB uses something different and that might be why I am having so much trouble adapting to it? Just wondering. :-)

Anyway, I am attaching a Zip file of the source code, EXE and resultant XLS file.

If you decide to look further into this, please only do so for the benefit of TB and it's users, not on my account (as things are still swinging in the wind as far as what I may be required/allowed to do at my end).

Thank you!
    Jerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Gerald,

I am looking into alternative solution - it might end up as big win or... fail But the good news we will know this night.
    I have 19:50 here, I will post something before local midnight.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Go Petr!

Don't worry, you got Mike and I covering your back if what you have cooking doesn't pan out.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

I seem to be having problems with the forum ... I sign in, then try to post and attach a file ... and it says that I am not logged in. :-(

The pantry has been scoured and I'll try it again. If this works ... this zip has the include file as well ...

Looks good this time ... I think. :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast