Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Usage of clipboard-data as Texture

thinBasic MVPs

Usage of clipboard-data as Texture

it's just an idea, maybe can be done somehow but I dunno how because I have no idea what format is used to store graphics on clipboard.

thinCore allows only to capture a text from clipboard - but thinCore is not a graphics-module.

My idea is to have a TBGL-function that creates a texture from some image-data currently to find on clipboard, very simple, perhaps alike this

Function TBGL_TextureFromClipboard( 
                        Byval texID as Long, 
                        Byval TBGL_TEX_Quality as Long, 
               Optional Byval lWidth as Long, 
                        Byval lHeight as Long
           ) As Long

' return ID of texture on success
    ' return 0 if no data found on clipboard/ if function failed
    ' ---

' maybe:

%Size_POT = -1   ' size automatic to the nearest power-of-two 
    %Size_None = 0   ' leave size as is 

TBGL_TextureFromClipboard( texID, %TBGL_TEX_CRISPANISO, %Size_POT, %Size_POT )

' --
    ' perhaps also have a reverse operation:

Function TBGL_TextureToClipboard( texID ) As Long
    ' return True if success
    ' return False if slot texID was empty

so basically one passes just the texture-slot, desired width & height and desired quality to create a texture from image-data on clipboard.
    If Width and Height are passed and are above 0 then this would be the desired texure-size,
    else the function should use either the next matching POT for Width, Height or both if below 0 and fill the leftover pixels with black on %TBGL_Data_RGB (24bit) or transparent on %TBGL_Data... that contains an alpha (32bit) or just leave the size unchanged if 0/None passed.
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 19-06-2014 at 08:46.
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Rene,

you are the man with excellent ideas, do you know it?

I think I would try to develop Clipboard_GetBitmap for core first - the output could be used along with already working TBGL_MakeTexture.

I took a note and will look into it on Sunday, will be fun!

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Rene,

I did a bit of research, I think it would be fine to have something like:
    Clipboard_IsImage

RGBAString = Clipboard_GetImage(width, height)

...where width, height is passed by reference to retrieve the dimensions.

What do you think about such a design? Should be TBGL_MakeTexture friendly...

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs
    you mean like
    If Clipboard_IsImage Then

Long w, h
      String s = ClipBoard_GetImage(w,h)

Endif

would be fine already.

Should not be such a big problem to place the string in parts onto some other, final image-data in the desired size then to have some POT-side-length.
    An advantage of this would be, to have the data to work with instantly as raw data instead of having to retrieve it using TBGL_GetTextureData.

Just for the Clipboard_IsImage: Is it needed at all?
    Couldn't Clipboard_GetImage just return empty string if none there? Or would Clipboard_IsImage return the image-format in the first place/ 0 if none?
    Addendum:

Clipboard_SetImage(s,w,h) ' place a string as 24/32-Bit-Map onto clipboard?

Last edited by ReneMiner; 23-06-2014 at 22:10.

Hi Rene,

good ideas, as usually. With today's hardware and drivers, there is no advantage in using RGB - I think it should simply return BGRA, as it is the fastest working format.

Could you please explain more on this please?:
    Should not be such a big problem to place the string in parts onto some other, final image-data in the desired size then to have some POT-side-length.
    An advantage of this would be, to have the data to work with instantly as raw data instead of having to retrieve it using TBGL_GetTextureData.

Petr

thinBasic MVPs
    intentionally I planned to retrieve (see topic) the BGRA-Data as string using TBGL_GetTextureData for further editing

(I intend to create some Texture-Editor currently, since my Gui-project is shelved and has to wait until I can call Type-Functions on a pointer- else I would have a few hundred functions depending on a global crutch, and I'm not in the mood to do it this way because calling type-functions on a pointer has to be implemented anyway some day, else the oop/private-scope-developement would get stuck.)

even better if I don't need to occupy some texture-slot just to get that Data from OS-clipboard into my TBGL-script, so I can let the user edit it before, i.e. I would have to re-new the data all the time anyway. And for finalizing textures I want to resize them to have some POT-side-length - but this is very app-specific, most important would be to retrieve the bitmap from clipboard in TB as first- (and of course also its size).
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 24-06-2014 at 23:11.

Maybe you could send your app an e-mail or possibly use DDE for those illusive textures. I thought I have seen it all but this one definitely takes the prize.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

And for finalizing textures I want to resize them to have some POT-side-length
    Why would you want to do it manually? All contemporary implementations of OpenGL do it transparently themselves on a call to OpenGL texture load functions of the glTexImageXX family.
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

thinBasic MVPs
    any other user-defined size would be fine too, not just POT,
    and while I let the user edit the string containing the texture, it needs some function to resize it anyway, that should not be an issue. As you can see I posted this in TBGL-section because I thought chances are bigger to get a new TBGL-version in near future and I was hoping Petr would find a way to instantly place data from clipboard into some texture-slot - and that's why i suggested user-defineable sizes for the function...

All contemporary implementations of OpenGL do it transparently themselves on a call to OpenGL texture load functions of the glTexImageXX family
    Sadly, this is not 100% true, even as of 2014. In theory, they should, but even my beloved Nvidia sometimes surprises me badly with NPOT textures incorrectly aligned.

Rene, I will look into this during weekend again, stay tuned

Petr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast