Thread: All BASIC IRC

All BASIC IRC

The All BASIC IRC is open to ALL BASIC programmers that wish to collaborate with their peers on BASIC related topics. Get to know your BASIC friends a little better by joining us on the #AllBASIC IRC channel.

Note: Paul Dunny has offered to help manage the #AllBASIC IRC channel.

Quote Originally Posted by zxdunny (Paul Dunny)
    Hi folks -

Time to see if we can get people interested in this again! IRC is just like the forums, but in realtime. I spend most of my life in IRC (in channels for this, that and the other) and it's great fun when you get a load of like-minded folks together to chat about what interests them.

The server is on Mibbit - you can get there via a web interface (Click Here) but it's not recommended; you can get decent IRC client interfaces for all the major (and some not so major) operating systems. The server is located at:

irc.mibbit.net port 6667

And the command needed to join is "/join #allbasic" (without quotes, natch).

Both JRS and myself are in there at the moment, but due to the time zone differences we're rarely there at the same time. Which is good, because there should be someone in there most times of the day. Bear in mind that we also have personal lives, so if you don't get a response straight away you should just leave it logged in and have a peep at it later!

Would be nice to talk to you guys in realtime, as it were Smiley

D.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we're getting some good folks in there now, but we're also getting a lot of people with default mibbit nicknames.

I suppose that's a consequence of having a web interface Sad

For the uninitiated, the way to change your name is:

/nick <your nickname here>

If you want to keep your nickname and prevent others from using it, it's a good idea to register it:

/msg nickserv register <password> <email>

Where the <>s are obviously left out. For example:

/msg nickserv register P455W0RD zxdunny@domain.com

It's worth considering.

D.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Is the IRC server still up and running? I've tried connecting via two different IRC clients and neither can connect.

~Garrett

Update

Garrett used the Mibbit web client and visited with us on #AllBASIC. Not sure what the problem was getting an IRC client to connect. I use the default IRC client that comes with Ubuntu. (Gnome xChat)
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski View Post
    Update

Garrett used the Mibbit web client and visited with us on #AllBASIC. Not sure what the problem was getting an IRC client to connect. I use the default IRC client that comes with Ubuntu. (Gnome xChat)
    I eventually ended up trying 5 IRC clients and not one would connect. Had all the info correct, the programs were not blocked by the firewall etc etc.... I still have no idea why none of them would connect. :-(

----UPDATE-------

disregard my connection problems and delete my msgs regarding it now.. Problem resolved.. modem firewall was locked up tight and I had to loosen the belt on it.
    Last edited by garretthylltun; 21-06-2014 at 06:51.