Thread: Basic OpenGL Performance

Basic OpenGL Performance

Hello Petr,

I've just started a similar thread on the OxygenBasic forum but I'd also like to know your view on the subject I'm describing there. It doesn't concern TBGL in particular; it rather seems to be a problem common to simple (immediate-mode, draw-list, or VBO based) rendering engines written in TB, Oxygen, FBSL and probably other languages too.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of motion blur and other post-processing bells and whistles to fool our senses. I'm just curious if raw image stutter I'm seeing on all my configurations except good old XP is a natural result of OpenGL vs. DirectX survival race on Windows platforms or some similar platform-dependent cause.

I don't recollect noticing this problem two or three years ago when I used to dive into OpenGL 3D rendering deeply. Now that I've come back to it with Charles and his OxygenBasic, this artifact seems to be haunting nVidia's Windows drivers everywhere (and probably on 8+ too) but XP. Perhaps it's a natural side effect of Windows' modern composited desktops but it's definitely rather annoying.

I don't have ATi video cards at my disposal to check but my SLI-configured geForces as well as my notebook's SiS672 Mirage+, all configured for 3 or 2 monitors respectively, are subject to raw image stutter unless the test script runs under XP. My nVidia drivers for 32-bit XP, 32-bit Vista and 64-bit 7, as well as my Mirage+ driver for the on-board SiS chip under a 32-bit 7, are the latest available and are dated March 9, March 4, March 10, 2014, and December 15, 2010, respectively.

The corresponding test script written in thinBasic is also published on the Oxygen's forum. Perhaps someone of the TB community would also kindly present their results here in this thread or directly on the OxygenBasic forum.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Hi Mike,

I posted a reply at your forum - interesting research, I will keep an eye on it.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Petr!

Please see my response on the OxygenBasic forum.
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)