Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmarking against functional languages.

Benchmarking against functional languages.

. hi ..

Still experimenting with "other" languages , a rather unfair series of benchmarks (functional languages have their strong points, which are not shown here).

Some calculus -- the value of Zeta(1) after one million iterations.

OK..

Racket Scheme -- bytecode -- using for/sum loops : 3 sec
    CLisp -- script -- 2.5 sec
    Racket Scheme -- bytecode -- using apply / map : 2 sec (2/3 of the time spent on garbage collection )
    CLisp -- bytecode (GNU Lightning) -- 0.6 sec
    NewLisp -- script -- 0.45 sec using apply/map
    ThinBasic -- script -- 0.42 sec
    Clojure -- java Bytecode -- 0.4 sec (used an around 200 Mb IDE for generating the JAR file ;-)
    NewLisp -- script -- 0.35 sec using (for i j step)
    Corman Lisp -- native X86 -- 0.25 sec
    GFA -- native X86 -- 0.09 sec
    ThinBasic + O2 pre-JIT ------> 0.03 sec (compiling outside the timer loop )

(for data manipulations (filter, cleaning etc ... ) NewLisp is around 10x faster than ThinBasic without O2)

Did not time Haskell.

speaking about Haskell -- some time ago there was a competition where bots had to fight each other (till one left) using different programming languages , some statistics how they survived :

C# good ones , bad ones , less mediocre , few very bad , very good
    http://i2.wp.com/1.bp.blogspot.com/_...nsity_plot.png

Java : the most used language , tends towards average

Haskell : a few refused to die it seems
    http://i0.wp.com/1.bp.blogspot.com/_...nsity_plot.png

C : they were called the hippies -- tough ones (there were no Basic-users, but "if" there could be similarities )

The winner : when the going gets tough, the tough .....
    http://i1.wp.com/3.bp.blogspot.com/_...nsity_plot.png

best Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

thinBasic MVPs
    times seem engine-depending. I'm far from 0.03 seconds and need only 0

for benchmarks I would use the built-in high-resolution-timer instead of getTickCount since it's much more precise.
    Uses "console"

Dim startingTime As Quad
    Dim neededTime   As Quad
    Dim tick         As Long   ' we compare tickcount & hires-timer now...

HiResTimer_Init   ' do always if want to use HiresTimer

tick = GetTickCount

Do

startingTime = HiResTimer_Get

' idle until it changes
    Loop While tick = GetTickCount   

tick = GetTickCount

While tick = GetTickCount: Wend

neededTime = HiResTimer_Get - startingTime

PrintL "Time for one tickcount-change: " + Format$(neededTime / 1000000, "#.0000")

PrintL $CRLF & Repeat$(42, "_")
    PrintL $CRLF & "Press the ANY-key to end"

WaitKey

Problem with GetTickCount is: it just delivers a new value every 0.015 to 0.025 seconds - depending on system, so I'm pretty sure the test needs less than 0.016 seconds on mine - 0.0059 to be precise, see screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 17-04-2014 at 19:45.
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Hi Reneminer,

Ah, ok -- but , wait till after December 6th ;-)
    I get around 32 mSec this way.
    (I think the other languages are not capable of measuring micro seconds directly ).

best, Rob

thinBasic MVPs
    What will happen on december 6th?

You get 32 mSec for what? The test?

Or is 32 mSec the tick-break on your pc? - do you use some 486?
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 17-04-2014 at 20:28.

Hi,

GetTickCount/Timer is very unprecise, ThinBASIC offers hiResTimer and cTimer, which work better for benchmarking purposes.

Petr

EDIT: Rene was faster
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 17-04-2014 at 21:29.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Well, it was to have a rough idea ..

Yes, my computer is 5x slower :-c "sniff" (but I can think of a formula 10000x faster ;-)
    (that's also nonsense compared with 50000x faster)

6 december :
    http://frenchfinest.files.wordpress....-nicholas1.jpg

best, Rob
    Last edited by RobbeK; 17-04-2014 at 23:50.

Hello colleagues,

Strictly speaking, any attempt to accurately benchmark the throughput of a computer process as a function of computer time is useless because it dissatisfies the fundamental requirement of timing instrument being independent of the object being timed. Remember "relativistic time dilation" from Einstein's Special Relativity theory?

Time-based looped benchmarks can give only a very rough idea about the efficiency of one particular aspect of a language such as e.g. integer performance, FPU performance and transcendental mathematics, string handling, array indexing and many, many others. Hundreds of different tests are required to further be statistically processed in order to make their results relevant to realtime deployment of these features in practical use cases. Only then can the given languages be somehow ranged roughly as to their suitability for a particular applied task.

1. GetTickCount() and timeGetTime() are the poorest instruments of all. Their granularity is extremely platform-dependent and can be considered a system-wide constant similar to the real world's speed of light. The time quantum of these counters ir approx. 10 msecs on Windows 95 thru Windows Millenium, and 15 to 16 msecs, on Windows 2K+.

There's nothing you can do to improve their resolution or accuracy. Contrary to a common but ungrounded belief, Winmm.dll's timeBeginPeriod(1)/timeEndPeriod(1) has no effect whatsoever on the resolution or accuracy of multimedia timeGetTime() counter; its resolution is exactly as poor as that of GetTickCount().

The only useful thing timeBeginPeriod(1) can do is improve the resolution of Sleep() (or Wait(), or any other derivative), and standard Windows timer (SetTimer()/KillTimer() WiAPI's) and its derivatives, to 1 msec against their usual default resolution of 15/16 msecs on an NT-based Windows kernel. In other words, unless you use a call to Winmm.dll's timeBeginPeriod(1), such calls as Sleep(1) through Sleep(16) and SetTimer(hWnd, ID_Timer, 1, NULL) through SetTimer(hWnd, ID_Timer, 16, NULL) will yield a time interval of approx. 16 msecs; Sleep(17) through Sleep(32)/SetTimer(hWnd, ID_Timer, 17, NULL) through SetTimer(hWnd, ID_Timer, 32, NULL) will yield a 32-msec time interval, and so on and so forth.

2. QueryPerformanceFrequency()/QueryPerformanceCounter() and their derivatives are very susceptible to modern CPU's SpeedStep (Intel) and Cool'n'Quiet (AMD) technologies that reduce the processor's power consumption and die (a.k.a. silicon chip) temperature by clocking the processor down with respect to its designated clock speed.

Look how my CPU speed may fluctuate while I'm typing a forum message (top green line):

The only way to avoid miscalculation will be:
    -- switch off the SpeedStep (or Cool'n'Quiet) option in your BIOS (or UEFI); or
    -- take a QueryPerformanceFrequency() reading every time immediately before a matching call to QueryPerformanceCounter() and pray to Lord that your sytem doesn't decide to step the CPU down while your interpreter is still reading its VM code between the two calls.

Calling QueryPerformanceCounter() will however add extra overall inaccuracy to the measurement, therefore it would be reasonable to have a few empty-loop calibration runs beforehand to see how much time it actually takes your computer to perform the QueryPerformanceXXX calls themselves.

Also, it would be reasonable to confine the measurement process affinity to one core only on a multi-core CPU because the system switches the processor contexts unpredictably for the user and a lot of time is lost in this process spoiling the accuracy of benchmarks still further.

3. The most reasonable thing would be to abandon the seconds/milliseconds/ticks idea altogether and measure performance directly in CPU clocks instead having switched off the SpeedStep/Cool'n'Quiet options and having confined process affinity to just one core well in advance.

CPU clocks can be measured with an RDTSC assembler instruction either in thinBasic's core engine via a PowerBasic assembly inline or in an external OxygenBasic procedure using its native assembly capability. This is however high-class aerobatics which is probably a topic for another discussion.

Regards,
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

thinBasic MVPs
    But if we measure all languages using the same wrong method on the same, overwrought old pc? Doesn't that equalize?

Rob, you still get presents by Saint Nicholas? So have you been goody-goody then?

Perhaps the most reliable time measure is the 60Hz frame refresh signal, though how to lock into this event directly, remains a mystery to me.

@ReneMiner:

Measure what? Volumes expressed in pounds with distances expressed in pennies? Let us find a common foothold first and then try to actually turn over the world.

I said we can subside to a very rough estimation based on a large number of tests with adequate statistical analysis. That was actually the possibility that I was trying to investigate in my items 1 thru 3. But these are only speculations in the long run because they don't resolve the contradiction which I outlined in the introductory paragraph of my message.

@Charles Pegge

1. Here are my workstation's monitor frequencies:

1.1. Which one should I choose as a reference?

1.2. Here's a VSYNC'ed OpenGL benchmark test with my central monitor set to 59Hz:

Yet Fraps (yellow figures in the lower right corner) shows that my OpenGL window still renders at an FPS rate of 60Hz. How can I believe that such a setup can be used for any serious benchmarking?

1.3. What the unfortunate notebook owners should do whose frame rate is always set to 30Hz only?

2. Lock into VSYNC signal? Easily. A Ring 0 kernel driver that bypasses Windows abstraction layers and reads from/writes into the HW I/O ports directly. I don't have the code but I have a precompiled DLL somewhere. Can send you one if you want.
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast