Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography/Lens thread

Photography/Lens thread

Wwwoooowww Rob,

What a beautiful stingray you have here! Excellent!

[offtop]

I visited Carl Zeiss Jena quite frequently in the past. They used to build very, very good objective lenses for our microlithography equipment like optical wafer steppers and such. Do they still produce them now, I wonder? They used to be pretty strong at that.

[/offtop]
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Hi Mike, --o/t-----------

All I know is that they still exist -- (half a miracle after the wall came down -- the relation between Oberkochen (Carl Zeiss in the West) and Jena was not so fantastic -- it all became a cold war affair between those two).
    However, we also used Jena tools in those days, distributed by Jenoptik (iirc).
    For the moment there's a kind of cooperation (joint venture ?) with БелОМО from Minsk -- and this one had a less optimal reputation about end control of their products. -- but then the world changed a lot in the meantime ... (I think it already was a satelite from LOMO in (then) Leningrad ). I also do think Jena works together with LZOS now (http://lzos.ru/index.php).
    But Meyer Feinoptik in Görlitz (on the Polish border) is gone. (well, Arsenal in Kiev is exit , FED is exit , SVEMA gone etc.. (as for analogue photography then)).

best Rob

Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by RobbeK View Post
    ...(joint venture ?) with БелОМО from Minsk...
    Exactly. But БелОМО wasn't and still isn't too bright and all they can produce is some cheap optics like binoculars, rifle sights, magnifying glasses etc. CZJ's microlithography lenses were huge but extremely intricate multilayer devices about 20 kg in weight and quite expensive too, like $450,000 each IIRC. We (НПО Планар/Planar) were not cooperating with them; it was a strictly buy-and-sell relationship. Now Planar is almost completely under Samsung and I don't know if microlithography is still the mainstream of their activity.

OK, enough of offtopic here else Petr's gonna ban us for sure.

Regards,
    Mike
    (3.6GHz i5 Core Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, x64 Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Photography/Lens thread

It is very unlikely to see me banning anyone for talk about photography and lenses, but to keep the threads clean, I open this thread for further discussion on this topic.
    Feel free to open new ones of course

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Anamorphic lens flares - the cheap way

Hi guys,

there is extermely simple way to achieve lens flares typical for movies shot using anamorphic lenses. You need just a tape and fishing nylon wire.

Things to watch out:
    • you must fix the wire vertically to get horizontal lens flare
    • if your lens have rotating front element, you have a problem
    • the wire might become visible in strongly out of focus bokeh circles

I found this approach mentioned in interview on shooting Sherlock with Cumberbatch, I thought it was a joke, but ... it works, see the attachement.

Petr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Interesting Petr !!

Never tried it, -- but, some vaseline on the lens also can give dreamish images. (oops, not on the lens, but a glass plate or so in front).

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/294723/26521013

I used B+W film for this !! following the technique of Prokudin-Gorskiy, start of the 20th century !
    This one is from 1911 : http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/pr...800/21886r.jpg
    (from : http://www.rferl.org/media/photogallery/24928691.html )

The glass plates are now digitally reprocessed , and reconstructed -- just like RGB they use the same color channels !

best Rob

Very nice Rob!,

I heard about this technique before, but never tried it myself. Your photo has really unique look and mood!

I went to the night city with the Jupiter today and my ego was hurt a lot. Maybe it is the reverse direction of sharpening, maybe the long exposures, but I did only single photo sharp... and not a really good one. I need to practice more.
    I am very happy with Nikkor-Micro 55mm f/2.8 - it is full manual, but it has incredibly long "run" of the sharpening ring, allowing to be superprecise. I never missed a shot with it.
    But with the Jupiter... that is another story. Clearly a problem on the user side, it will take some time...

(Note: the 50mm Jupiter becomes 135mm lens equivalent on my Nikon 1 V1, due to sensor size, so it is not that easy to keep it stable with times around 1/25)

Petr

Hi Petr,

You were looking for the most demanding situations concerning making pictures ;-)

I'm sure you know --

-wide or nearly wide open apertures have a narrow DOF, so this needs very exact focusing.
    -long shuttertimes also need special care : -- the classic rule is (in your case around 125mm) safe time = 1/focal length = 1/125sec. or faster.
    (This however is very relative (but within limits) :
    It is not the case when using a slower speed all the shots will be blurred , only a certain percentage - and this percentage grows with the slower times -- it has to do with breathing and vibrations from your blood circulation ; do it as a marksman ... just as everything related with shooting a rifle
    --- do not breath for a moment
    --- squeze the trigger (button) no pull or push
    --- use every support for your body - wall , pillar/collumn (laying down is the best of course)
    --- not too much coffee !! (a little beer or wodka is better !! a little !! ) )

You can practise -- a digi cam doesn't waste film as I most of the time do ... "Übung macht den Meister !" (I'm not German, but everything in German sounds important ;-)

best Rob
    (Cold weather also pushes the limit upwards (at least for myself ))
    Last edited by RobbeK; 07-12-2013 at 22:29.

Hi Rob,

hehe, easy conditions would mean no joy from "the hunt"

Thanks a lot for the tips - I especially like the 1/focal length tip, this never occurred to me, but I think it works - the "okay" shot was done at 1/100, which is close.

Regarding the stabilization - I have one little helper I use for video, maybe I should use it for night shots too.
    It looks like this. You can make 3 point contact system with it:
    • back of the shoulder
    • chest
    • eye-viewfinder touch

Will try to bring it with me next time.

Petr

Hi Petr,

- the 1/focal length -- an old rule of the thumb (used for more than a century now, should be correct).
    - yes, perfect tool in you link -- I use a Soviet Sniper : http://microsites.lomography.com/zen.../img/cover.jpg
    (however, once picked up by the police -- confusing with a rocket/granate launcher ;-)
    - Arsenal in Kiev made lenses fitting the Nikon , they are marked with an "N" (Кириллица : "H" ) they are all very excellent.
    - Must have's !!! :
    Panoramic GUI's to stitch your images
    - like http://www.ipernity.com/doc/294723/23438867 >180° !!!!
    from : http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ based on the tools created by Professor Helmut Dersch of the University of Applied Sciences Furtwangen. (does a lot more than Pro/Paid software ... Mercator, Panini mapping etc .... )

- HD range mapping from a multiple of images (bracketing)
    http://www.ipernity.com/doc/294723/25307055
    from http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/
    (this one uses Hugin for aligning the images !!)

Any questions, please ask .. you helped me a lot with TB and TBGL !

best Rob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast