Thread: ScriptBasic 2.2 Beta Release

ScriptBasic 2.2 Beta Release

*** deleted ***
    Last edited by John Spikowski; 18-09-2013 at 04:25.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

thinBasic MVPs
    I like the easy to understand, simple callbacks, just "Btn_click()" or "Win_Exit()" and done. Everybody can instantly see & read what happens there and there's not much about to learn how to check for a callback, no unreadable long subs with a couple of nested "Select Case"'s nor dozens of abbreviated cbcdhndls, cbntfctrl and cbmsgrcmsg which only the developer of the language understands.

On the other side I don't understand why it's that way:
    win = WINDOW()
    SETPROPERTY(win, "TITLE=\"SBx Buttons\", SIZE=300x")

and not just that:
    win = WINDOW("TITLE=\"SBx Buttons\", SIZE=300x")

And questions:
    Does scriptbasic include any 3d-lib?
    Will it run on 64Bit WIndows 8 also?
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 11-02-2013 at 10:26.
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

What a lucky user are you John to have a forum of a competing language that allow you to post such messages.

But I like it and I will never stop it because I like people to have different views and heterogeneous knowledge of what that's around so everyone can choose what they prefer.

Ciao
    Eros

PS: I hope you (and/or others) will not kill me when during the next thinBasic release I will make a similar post in SB forums
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

win = WINDOW("TITLE=\"SBx Buttons\", SIZE=300x")

because then you have no properties.

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski View Post
    I assumed that this post was made on the correct board you provide for such announcements. Thanks for the space! You are a Basic developer and AllBasic welcomes your expertise. ScriptBasic is open source and runs on multiple platforms so the thought of being competition never entered my mind.

Home\Forum\Community Discussion\General\Other languages\Scripting
    Yes, yes, you assumed correctly
    I like competition, and I like mixing, comparing, improving, exchange ideas.
    And I like your passion!
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

thinBasic MVPs
    Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    What a lucky user are you John to have a forum of a competing language that allow you to post such messages.

But I like it and I will never stop it because I like people to have different views and heterogeneous knowledge of what that's around so everyone can choose what they prefer.

Ciao
    Eros

PS: I hope you (and/or others) will not kill me when during the next thinBasic release I will make a similar post in SB forums
    I guess, that's why they disabled registration of new users to their forums.

The double-colon, I think, is something which would need some time to get used to...

On the other hand: it's nice to see how others think which way a Basic-language should handle certain stuff. As said- the easy callback is the way I imagine a Basic language should do this. Clear, plain, straight and easy readable since only such flat-minded people like me are forced to use a Basic-language to program. I don't want to dive too deep into the functionalities of some API and other crazy 3rd-Party-Stuff which I'm not interested in. I want to use my Basic on the surface to write my programs. Just type in some code, click run and see.
    Users like me, who just know Basic and no other programming languages don't like the hassle and hours for searching of libs, addOns and/or other extension-stuff to get the desired functionalities together. We are simple and we like to have it shipped all together in just one package - all libs prepared to work together - the complicated stuff like headers etc. hidden from users which are not the ones with deep insights, just like thinBasic does mainly.

@John: sorry getting a little offTopic here, but there was the once-in-all-times-chance to have more than one basic-developers reading what users like me wish to have as a "noob + stupid-user-friendly" Basic-language.
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Hi Rene,

the Windows, for which ThinBASIC is designed, works the callback-way. But I understand sometimes you don't need their flexibility, and that is why I developed this:
    EventShaper - experimental module to wrap ugly Win32 messages into user defined form

It is ThinBASIC module, distributed in both DLL and source code form, have a look...

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Rene,

You have one simple way to go if you do not want all that complicated events handling: console. The old, simple, dirty black console but with the power of 32 bit languages.

In any case I can perfectly understand you. I come from the old days of DOS where I wrote tons of complex programs but simple to write user interfaces.
    When I moved to Windows and Windows handling (events) I had a shock

When I started to write UI (User Interface) module for thinBasic I thought a lot on how to write it.
    "do I have to keep it simple wrapping into easy to use and learn functions and hide all hundred of complex events occurring every single seconds in a window or window control?"

I decided (maybe wrongly) not to hide anything and create something the more close as possible to how the things work in a modern user interface because if one master the way the things work if he/she wants to move into another language (another Basic, or C or whatever) he/she will know and will be able to master User Interface in any other programming language.
    And that is a value for a programmer that will have to master complex interfaces.

Here http://www.thinbasic.com/community/s...tionary-Search
    I created a thinBasic equivalent code of John nice code "Online Dictionary" example full of comments to have a look.

Have fun
    Eros
    Attached Images Attached Images