Thread: Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

I bought the DVD from Amazon.

I couldn't download it directly from Kaspersky, my connection is too slow (dialup, 56k).

I already had Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 installed.

I thought I should be able to install the new version, without uninstalling the old version - I was wrong!

I installed it over 48 hours ago.

Since then the color shown has been red (not yellow or green).

It constantly reads, "Computer security is at risk".

It says the databases are "obsolete".

Also, it has constantly been attempting to update itself since then.

It always reads, "Updating databases and application (15%)...".

Beneath that, it always reads either:

"connecting to server"

or,

"processing files".

Amazing!

The updating has been stuck at 15% for over 48 hours.

(I haven't kept the computer turned on 24 hours per day, but, whenever it is on, and I look, I once again see, "15%".)

In order to attempt to get any help from Kaspersky, I first had to log into my Kaspersky account.

Then, I had to go through a convoluted process in which I had to provide answers to many questions, by choosing from menus.

Finally, I was able to type in a box and describe my problem.

In a day or two, I am supposed to again log into my account and see if there is a reply.

I went through something similar last year, when I purchased Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, directly from Kaspersky.

At that time, I already had Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 installed.

The Kaspersky applications automatically update their databases daily, and they always remind you of how many days you have remaining.

My assumption was that when I purchased Kaspersky Internet 2012 from Kaspersky, the result would be just an extra year of the databases updating themselves - I was wrong!

Instead, there was a huge download of the new program, hundreds of megabytes.

And, if I remember correctly, the download had to be completed in one connection, or you had to start it over from the beginning.

So, the result was that, for someone with a dialup connection, the download was impossible.

I went through Kaspersky support for that problem, and before long I realized, the support people couldn't care less about my trouble.

(It seems to me that it must be obvious to Kaspersky that someone with a dialup connection would never be able to download the program - I wonder why they don't mention it. $$$)

One more thing, if you think you can ever find a telephone number, in order to be able to actually speak to someone at Kaspersky, then, in my opinion, you are dreaming.

(Wasn't Franz Kafka a very smart guy?)

Last edited by danbaron; 15-01-2013 at 08:55.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

My sympathies Dan. As I recall, it takes about 5 minutes per meg of data, at your modem speed.

I find virus checkers an infernal nuisance. I often have to turn mine off when compiling or downloading forum software. I suspect the new generation of antivirus software reports any suspicious binary signatures, direct to central HQ, which includes just about everything a developer might produce.

In my opinion, Windows, and the various security programs have become so complex, that users are helpless - and that is exactly what those companies want the situation to be.

------------------------------------------

I finally got the Kaspersky database updated.

It took me from last Saturday, until this Thursday.

And, a "bonus" was that because initially the program would not install from the DVD, I thought that maybe it was because my computer was infected, so, I reinstalled Windows 7. (I do those types of desperate things without taking time to think out the situation, when I am frustrated and worn down by operating system and/or security software problems.) And, for whatever reasons, the Microsoft DVD, in its great wisdom, made me do a full reinstall, so, I lost all of the automatic Microsoft updates, which now seem to take place daily.

Actually, the reason the Kaspersky program would not install from the DVD, was that, it was necessary to first uninstall the previous version. Apparently, the DVD was not smart enough to do that itself.

And, if I had not gone back and forth with a Kaspersky technician, the database would never have been updated.

The Kaspersky status message would read, "connecting to server", for hours.

Here is what the technician wrote to me, which finally enabled me to make progress.

Hello ,

Thank you for getting back to us, and we appreciate your patience. Have you already tried changing the update source?

(A) Change your update source to get the latest databases:

Open Kaspersky 2013.
    Click on 'Settings'.
    Click on the third icon, it looks like a globe.
    Click on the 'Update Source...' button on the right.

Click '+ Add'.
    Delete the source line and paste in http://195.222.17.41
    Click 'OK'.
    Click '^ Move up' so the highlighted http line is first, above Kaspersky Lab update servers.

Click '+ Add' again.
    Delete the source line and paste in http://149.7.32.19
    Click 'OK'.
    Click '^ Move up' so the highlighted http line is second, above Kaspersky Lab update servers.

Click 'OK' twice.
    Click on 'Update' on the main Kaspersky window.
    Click 'Run Update'.

(B) Disable the default update proxy setting:

Open Kaspersky 2013.
    Click on 'Settings'.
    Click on the third icon, it looks like a globe.
    Click on the 'Update Source...' button on the right.
    Click on the 'Proxy server... 'button.
    Uncheck 'Use proxy server'.
    Click 'OK' three times.

Best regards,
    Rich O | Technical Support | Kaspersky Lab Americas
    (They thanked me for "getting back to us" - they're happy, correct?)

(They always "appreciate your patience", right? That's funny, isn't it?)

He asked if I had tried changing the update source.

In my opinion, what a stupid question that was.

I should know to do that, and what addresses to use?

How, by ESP?

I did what he said.

I have no idea what or where the two addresses he listed are, or, how long they will be good for - I am no longer using the standard Kaspersky server.

One more thing.

During the time when I wanted to "strangle" Kaspersky, I ordered, and have now received the "Trend Micro Titanium 2013 Internet Security" DVD.

As of now, I bought it for nothing.

But, maybe I will become so frustrated by future Kaspersky problems, that I will uninstall Kaspersky, and install it - I would not bet against it.

(Then, how long before I want to "strangle" Trend Micro?)

I realize that few people in this forum have much sympathy for someone who has a slow internet connection (and actually, as well as I can determine, for almost anything at all).

Of course, I haven't the slightest idea what the future holds with respect to internet technology.

I do often encounter situations in which I have to wait a long long time to connect to websites, for instance, to pay my bills.

Maybe that is just because my connection is so slow, I don't know.

Or, my suspicion is that the reason could be, the servers are overloaded, and everyone has to wait.

But, let me know the next time a corporation warns you that you will have to wait a long long time to do anything on its website, because, its server(s) is/are overwhelmed, and it doesn't feel like spending the money to fix the problem.

I can imagine a possible future in which it will be practically impossible to use the internet for the vast majority of people.

Could it be that users will constantly be required to increase the speed of their connections?

And, the price of connections fast enough to effectively work, will become too much for, percentage-wise, almost all people?

If and when that happens, my guess is that, those who are smug today, will begin to howl like banshees, as they are priced out of internet usage.

And, by the way, the situation is almost here already - how long will it be before if you do not have a usable internet connection, you will effectively be paralyzed, helpless, expelled from society?

Another one more thing.

I haven't the slightest inclination to attempt to upgrade to Windows 8.

I bet I am not the only one.

Is an attempted upgrade more likely to, overall, be good or bad?

It seems to me that Microsoft, and the internet security companies, want us to forever be chasing a "carrot on the stick".

If true, how long before the public realizes this?

Last edited by danbaron; 18-01-2013 at 10:44.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields