Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ScriptBasic Android

Success with Rooted Phone

John, pleased to announce success with a rooted phone at least.
    shot_000004.jpg

I had many problems. The biggest one was that with adb you don't have a lot of the linux commands, like cp for copying, when issuing shell commands.
    If you use abd push command, you can't get it to work with super user privileges.

I solved it by installing a nice android file manager that I could set superuser privileges in the preferences and also show hidden files and folders.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...msoft.fm&hl=en

I will try Astro File Manager next to see if it will work too... ok with the free version I couldn't move scriba around or get to the jackpal.androidterm folder.
    Last edited by kryton9; 26-04-2012 at 05:56.

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski View Post
    Congratulations on being the first ScriptBasic user to post it running on their Android device. It would be great if you can get it running on an unrooted device.

I'm curious how SB performance compares with a Java based Basic4Android benchmark program.
    Thanks John, but how do I run the example apps. Do I need to chmod all the files?

I used chmod 755 on scriba and on array1.bas and no luck.

cat array1.bas printed out the code on the screen.

I tried this after going in with the file manager and giving scriba and all the .bas files all permission to read, write and execute.

./scriba -b hello4.bas

got error message back about either corrupt file or from another version of scriptbasic.
    Last edited by kryton9; 26-04-2012 at 06:50.

screenshots running

Thanks John. Even on a rooted phone, it will only run in superuser mode. Here are screenshots showing both superuser mode running fine and normal user mode not running.

Rooted Phone:SuperUser:Running Fine
    2012.04.26-11.58.59.jpeg

Rooted Phone:NormalUser:Not Running
    2012.04.26-12.01.20.jpeg

Here is making the bin file and running it, that all works fine.
    2012.04.26-12.19.39.jpeg
    Last edited by kryton9; 26-04-2012 at 18:24.

John, yes I read all of that. The problem is that without root access, you can not get to the /data/data/jackpal.androidterm directory as it is outside of the sdcard, at least on windows 7.

When I showed screenshots before of such a directory on the Android/data/data/jackpal.androidterm, it was not put there by the app, but I just manually created it. The App itself puts it in the internal memory outside of the sdcard, at least in my phone and windows 7.

Google should have just used linux, paid for a java license for the their vm, it would have made Android so much better. Allowing anything you could do on linux on your phone device and tablets.

Ubuntu is to release such an option by the end of the year. It will be a full ubuntu desktop when hooked up to an external monitor running along with Android to tie into the phone stuff. What google should have done all along.
    So for me now, it is to see how windows 8 really is on phones, tablets and desktop and compare that to the ubuntu cross device and make a decision on one or the other. Right now from what I read, I think Ubuntu will be the winner for me.
    I will then only run windows on my gaming computer and music computer. All my other note/netbooks, phone and tablet will run Ubuntu I hope.

What I was saying John is that jackpal terminal emulator does not create the directories in a place where non rooted users can go. It is not on the sdcard.
    I can't recall even rooted without superuser you can go there. You will see when you try it with a phone and not the emulator.

I will unroot my phone this weekend sometime and try that out. That is the sort of listing I needed. Thanks John.

John, I tried taking my phone back to stock version, but had no luck. My fault as with my impatience, I didn't make a backup. I downloaded a few stock roms, but they didn't take on my phone and so I moved onto trying different ROMS.

I have however fallen in love with trying out different ROMS for android. It is like getting a new phone with each ROM you try. I found one that has everything I want and an interface that is so nice, I don't want to go back to stock.
    I'm still testing to see if all of the features I need are working and so far they are, but I want to make sure before I load it back up with data.

My recommendation to anyone wanting to root, tinker with ROMS, follow the advice, backup your phone first.

I will try scriptbasic on my tablet as that is stock android ice cream sandwich at the moment and not rooted. Will report later this week when I get around to it.

Success with Not Rooted, No SuperUser Android

John, finally very happy to report that I got it working on my not rooted, no superuser android tablet.

I put scriba and hello4.bas into the same folder my adb.exe is located on my PC.

I just had to add one "/" to AIR's listing and I had to apply the chmod 755 to scriba.

Here is my listing with the minor updates to AIR's:
    FROM WITHIN ADB:

adb shell
    mkdir /data/local/bin
    exit
    adb push scriba /data/local/bin/
    adb push hello4.bas /sdcard/

adb shell
    cd /data/local/bin

chmod 755 scriba

FROM WITHIN JACK PALEVICH'S ANDROID TERMINAL EMULATOR:
    scriba /sdcard/hello4.bas
    Last edited by kryton9; 04-05-2012 at 20:24.

John, it is really amazing how they got scriptbasic working without root and superuser requirements. On cell phones, unless you got one of the select few phones with it built in the version of Android screen capture, you can't even do simple screen captures without root privileges. So it is really impressive how they got it all to work, so congrats to your team there.

I will definitely be playing with scriptbasic on my phone and tablet now.

John do you have any benchmark sb code that I could use?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast