Thread: 3D modeler for free and more

3D modeler for free and more

Theo's post on José's forum pointed me to an interesting offer, which only lasts till the end of march.

There are 3 softwares available for free download, from which the Hexagon 2.5 is very good tool, as it is 3D modeler able to read/write OBJ files.
    That means, you can use it for creating models for ThinBASIC scripts, because we have the OBJ2M15 converter ready at your service for some time

If you are interested in 3D, this is an offer worth considering...

http://www.daz3d.com/

Registration required, the softwares are provided in form of download and serials are sent at registered email.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 28-02-2012 at 10:28.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thank you Petr , i have downloaded it , they put the download link and registration serial in the account info page of the user. the file size 77.4 MB and its version is 2.5.1.79
    it has many export and import file types including obj files.
    there are also Daz studio 4 pro and Bryce 7 pro also for free download.
    i have searched in the morning if there is an exporter for m15 to obj files, and find that ThinEdge have this feature, if we add this to the OBJ2M15 utility then we have good tools in the Lab.

Thanks Petr!

another free 3D modelling
    http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/
    they send the download link to your email address. (file size 20 MB)
    i have made this face with no experience, just clicking the mouse,

in the Introduction to Sculptris they said:
    ((Start with a sphere of virtual clay and shape it into whatever you want it to be. This is made possible in Sculptris by its amazing ability to locally redefine the internal structure of the model.))

so i guess this is a kind of a dynamic mesh. and changing the model shape on the fly.

@Petr, can we consider "TBGL_m15SetVertexXYZ( ModelID, VertexIndex, x, y, z )" a kind of changing the model shape ?? a Sculpture tool. since in the thread "Height of ground, how to get this"
    http://www.thinbasic.com/community/s...ow-to-get-this
    in the waterpatch.zip example the instruction tbgl_m15setVertexY set the model vertices to another Y coordinate.

Hi Zak,

as usually, very good comments!

Regarding your first idea:
    i have searched in the morning if there is an exporter for m15 to obj files, and find that ThinEdge have this feature, if we add this to the OBJ2M15 utility then we have good tools in the Lab.
    For the moment, I would recommend to manage the models in the format of your preference, and in the end publish it to M15 for use in game/application. The conversion of M15 to OBJ is possible (even with little thinBasic script I think), but for practical purposes I would use it just as destination format. The description of M15 file format is available on my web, direct link here: http://psch.thinbasic.com/data/thinE...fileformat.pdf

My typical workflow is to design and texture the model in Wings3D, and use the OBJ2M15 as final step.

can we consider "TBGL_m15SetVertexXYZ( ModelID, VertexIndex, x, y, z )" a kind of changing the model shape ?? a Sculpture tool. since in the thread "Height of ground, how to get this"
    Yes, it is possible to modify the m15 models on the fly by changing the vertex position, so kind of basic sculpting. It is possible to change the color on the fly as well, using TBGL_m15SetVertexRGB. If you have the density of vertices high enough, it can produce some nice results.

Changing the topology as Sculptiris does... well, that's a bit more advanced task. I just downloaded it, very powerful tool... having the Wireframe mode enabled, you can see how the model changes it's structure based on the size of brush and other criteria.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 26-02-2012 at 18:43.
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I have not been able to download from Daz3d. They never send the info to my email for downloading, oh well.

Thanks Zak I will try to get that new one you linked to, it looks neat!

I am sorry to hear that, colleague from work had similar experience.
    I used my gmail account and no problems occurred. Did you used gmail as registration mail?

Petr

Thanks for the Info Petr I'd previously downloaded Bryce 5.5 from the same site back in 2007 so I was able to use my old account.

Quote Originally Posted by Petr Schreiber View Post
    I am sorry to hear that, colleague from work had similar experience.
    I used my gmail account and no problems occurred. Did you used gmail as registration mail?

Petr
    Thanks for the info Petr, sad for your colleague but happy I am not the only one.

I didn't use my gmail, I keep that for personal use and use yahoo for other things.
    I will try putting my gmail in to see if it works as those are nice programs to have that is for sure.

They extended the offer till the end of march, so it gives you more space for experiments.

Feature wise, the Hexagon is just great. But there are some stabilty issues, so it is needed to save often

Petr