Thread: Signs that you're a bad programmer

Signs that you're a bad programmer

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Ha Ha...
    I was wondering what kind of sympthoms we have ,
    what a junk...

Not up to programming? The simpler option is to become a nuclear physicist

I've seen things like this before.

I remember a long time ago, programmers who thought they were in the, "upper class", writing about how dangerous C was.

They said that almost no one could be trusted to use pointers.

If you mistakenly overwrote part of the system RAM, disaster could occur!

They made it sound like your computer could explode and kill many people.

They tried to make you believe that understanding pointers, was equivalent to understanding quantum mechanics.

I admit that I am in a bad mood as I write this, but, I see articles like this one, as the authors (no matter how they deny it), attempting to demonstrate that they are members of the elite, in this case, the programming elite.

I also think this may be a case of, the author, "whistling past the graveyard".

A long time ago, programmers programmed in machine language.

Then, assembly language.

Programming languages keep moving to higher and higher levels of abstraction.

(In fact, I would bet that before long, most programming will be done by computer programs.)

My guess is that, all of the details which are so important to him, will become increasingly archaic and arcane.

He may become like someone who is an expert in the various models of typewriters, will anyone besides him care?

I basically am suspicious of anyone who I think tries to show how smart he is, by trying to impress people with how many details he is a master of.

(Absolutely, I think anyone who depends on the mastery of details for his success, is ultimately doomed. Because, a computer can remember details, perfectly.)

And, I find people distasteful, who attempt to lift themselves, by mocking others.

I looked at the article, I don't want to read it line by line.

From what I see, all of his, "wisdom", he got from other sources.

Even much of his phrasing, is "boilerplate" programming jargon.

Maybe some people equate intelligence with how many details someone knows.

I don't.

I also would not be too impressed by someone who memorized the dictionary, I would view him as an oddity.

Maybe, the dull but proud man, unable to create any original ideas of his own, becomes a master of other people's details.

I guess his point is, he,
    C. Lawrence Wenham, a very humble genius, needn't look into any, "alternative careers".

He reminds me of an art critic - he may know more facts about art than anyone else, but, have you ever seen anything he painted?

I can think of one thing he might be able to do well, write another one of the many, "programming best practices" books - "How to Program in ZX15, my Way, the Only Correct Way".

(Otherwise, I think his article is very good.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think programming is going to become automatic, what will remain will be coming up with ideas that are worth turning into programs.

Last edited by danbaron; 03-11-2011 at 09:05.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

What a piece of article this is. I saw a lot of people who fall first into the category "You should not be a programmer" and then after they learned/got teached, they did pretty well.

Ok, I am a very bad programmer.
    every different day I show some of the different symptoms mentioned in the article

Simone
    LapTop Pc: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 • 2GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM • 160GB hard disk • 512MB ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics • Win Vista SP1<br />Desktop Pc: 1.6GHz Intel Core 2&nbsp; • 2GB DDR2 RAM •&nbsp; 1024MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT • WinXp&nbsp; SP3