Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lytro: Focus-Free Camera

No doubt they will find applications to this technology, but "revolutionize photography"?
    Hehe, that is the classic example of "marketing english, lesson 1", I learned to filter this out.

Fuji X100 is beautiful piece, but a little bit costy for poor mortals Some people report problems with initial firmware, but update should be out already:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/

I like Fuji cameras, I had a very nice time with Fuji 6500FD, which I passed to my brother last month. Quite emotional bye bye, but endorphines got back to normal level thanks to my father, which passed me Nikon D80 at disposal currently. It is camera which kicked me back to really enjoy taking photos.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 30-10-2011 at 23:26.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Finished reading the article José posted, very good analysis.

As I wrote earlier, I think the developement team behind this didn't mean the currently offered Lytro camera as the ultimate device, but they need to get funds somehow to continue their work and at the same time they need to show "we can do it". The marketing department of course uses all the weapons to persuade others this is revolution, which is quite common concept in tech business I am afraid.

From my side, I didn't have my expectations high when the first rumours about the device appeared, especially once they declared clearly that the first piece coming out of the factory is more targeted at "facebook people", which want to take photos and present them in entertaining way (which interactive refocusing applet is). But in my opinion this targeting makes sense from busines point of view, because simple control has bigger potential to attract wider audience = more funds for further developement, manufactoring, ...

As a first step in new direction, and with the price not that extremely high for new concept... I still consider it solid attempt from what I have read.
    Seeing the device "live" would be best to make an opinion about usability of course.

Seeing the target group, absence of manual control... I think it is not meant (yet) for more advanced/technical users, so it is a bit hard to directly compare it to advanced compact or even mirror cameras.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 30-10-2011 at 23:49.
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

The first review of Lytro is available:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro/

Some interesting information - for example the resolution is in the end 1080x1080.

Petr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12