Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Script Your Phone on Your Phone

Hi John,

yes I tried SB some time ago. The main reason of my note was that I didn't see any link between what you wrote and the main issues discussed in the video, which is IDE with easy to use input system for cellphones + language direct access to specific hardware features such as accelerometer.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 20-09-2011 at 08:53.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I wasn't able to watch the video on Ubuntu & Firefox.

I misunderstood and assumed that the topic was about scripting cell phones. ScriptBasic is being used in a commercial router as it's scripting language and by the University of Toronto to control all their environmental systems. (6 million sq. ft.) SB is embedded in custom controllers running an embeddable centric Linux.

JavaScript is the browsers scripting language. That seems to be a given.

I'm not sure if there is a scripting standard in place for mobile devices. By default, ScriptBasic is an embeddable script language. That in itself makes it an ideal scripting candidate.
    Last edited by John Spikowski; 20-09-2011 at 09:43.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

There is some text/picture information available on the topic:
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/.../touchdevelop/

The video is scripting related, but the focus is on the two areas I mentioned previously. I am not sure if the article will give you the same informational value as video, as seeing it in action is better.

What I am still not convinced about is the highlevel syntax structure with long lines. On small display the word wrapped lines look not so good. Second extreme is one instruction per line (like on calculators or assembler), which has easy to follow structure, but forces user to scroll like mad and decoding more complex expressions becomes tiring.

I am curious if "something between" could be invented. Maybe just using the phone in landscape orientation and with horizontal scrollbar would help the first approach.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I will be demonstrating a high level GTK based GUI syntax for ScriptBasic soon. I'm not interested in Android as a development platform.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12