Thread: my new Graphics Card

my new Graphics Card

i have installed geforce 210, 1GB, 8 cores as told by nvidia control panel and not 16 cores as in the web. it is made by xxx
    the dealer are a nearby cheater; the fan are too noisy, so i have replaced it with a fan from my damaged geforce 7 ; it has the same dimensions and quiet. the temperature are ok as displayed by NvTempLogger utility.
    when all computers begins to work without fans then this is a historic great day. i have found that ati radeon 5450 does not have fan but a strange shape of a heat sink look here...
    radeon5450.jpg

but it needs a 400W power supply and i have PS 300W peak, 250W rated, so it is barely support the geforce 210. this is why i haven't installed more advanced card.

Sounds coming from a PC never used to bother me, but after using the eeepc and now my tablet, I can't stand my desktop noise. I wish they could get away with massive heat sinks on all the components and keep the power.
    I like that heat sink on the video card and a nice sporty red color too.

Hi Zak,

congratulations on new card! Feature-wise, it is indeed quite advanced - OpenGL 3.x, OpenCL, CUDA...
    It might not have the horsepower to run something in incredible resolutions, but the features are there and that is what counts for a programmer

Does the ThinBASIC OpenCL Device info program report 8 cores as well? Reference 16 cores will give you 2x the compute performance comparing to 8 cores, maybe worth discussion with the dealer. It is possible the another 8 cores got locked by accident in the factory.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 11-09-2011 at 15:31.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr
    i have tried your OpenCL_DeviceInformation using the latest sept-2011 thinbasic opencl headers, and it reports 8 cores, here is the report:

Create OpenCL device & context...
    Enumerate platforms...
    Get device IDs...
    Create OpenCL device & context...
    Query all devices available to the context...
    Query available text information...
    ======================================================================

GeForce 210
    NVIDIA Corporation
    FULL_PROFILE
    OpenCL 1.0 CUDA

cl_khr_byte_addressable_store
    cl_khr_icd
    cl_khr_gl_sharing
    cl_nv_d3d9_sharing
    cl_nv_compiler_options
    cl_nv_device_attribute_query
    cl_nv_pragma_unroll
    cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
    cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
    cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
    cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics

Query available numeric information...

Max compute units : 1 => 8 cores
    Device clock (MHz): 1402
    Max parameter size: 4352

Press any key to quit...
    i will post the manufacturer forsa.com.hk if this is by design or by mistake.
    i have tried all your examples OpenCL_GentleIntroductionToOpenCL_AddNumber, OpenCL_HelloWorld, OpenCL_VectorAdd, OpenCL_ImageProcessing, and all are working okay
    OpenCL_ImageProcessing example i though first it does not work then i changed resolution to 1024x768 and then it is displayed. i suggest to include OpenCL inc files in the official releases in the future with some examples.

@kent: i have a quiet power supply fan running from about 4 years. i guess its quiet behaviour may be because it is big so it is running slow more than the usual small fan which are speedier and consequently more noisy, it resembles but bigger than this one:
    fan.jpg
    also there is a label on it "Green Asus RoHs compliant"
    it is facing the inside of the case over the cpu and not like the old fans which you can see from behind the desktop case.
    i have another older pc which produces sounds resembles the noisy car engine from the PS and cpu fans.
    i begins to think that the bigger fan are quieter than the smaller fan.
    the quiet behaviour of my fan is the main reason i don't want to upgrade the power supply to a more wattage.
    Last edited by zak; 11-09-2011 at 17:38.

Petr you are right my Geforce 210 card is a defected product for several reasons:
    1- it has 8 cuda cores instead of 16 as nvidia decided.
    2- its original fan is noisy.
    3- the windows restart sometimes before finalizing the boot process.
    4- the system are slower than it was with the previous Geforce 7300
    so i have replaced it with other card with the same model geforce 210 but from other manufacturer for a small additional fee because i have replaced the original fan myself.
    applying your tool OpenCL Device info it reports 16 cores wich is the Nvidia specifications. the card have its electric power from the pci-e slot as usual, i have astonished while reading the manual that some more advanced cards may have additional power connections , the manual said:
    (you must conect all 12V PCI Express 6-pin(or 8-pin) power cable to VGA card if there are PCI Express power connecectors on the graphics card)

pci-express_power.JPG

so who buy advanced card must be carefull if his power supply have those special connectors and have the suitable power supply with enough wattage. it seems the graphics card are the most electric power consuming compoponents.
    another lesson is to buy the components made by a famous makers and not from who we never heard about before.

Hi Zak,

I am happy your GPU adventure came to good end

You are right some graphic cards require external power supply, there are powermonsters where just the graphic card itself eats as office PC Please see here some interesting charts:
    http://www.geeks3d.com/forums/index....ic,1946.0.html

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB