Thread: reducing the noise from the wall

reducing the noise from the wall

there is a noise (tv, talk, ...) coming from the wall between me and my neighbor due to the bad quality wall material (thin empty bricks). there is a solution by mounting a parallel plates in parallel to the wall and with a 10 cm space, the 5-10 cm space is essential. but before that costly material i think first to hang many thick newspapers like a curtain in parallel with the wall with a 10cm space. so i begins to collect the newspapers.
    there is an implicit war between me and that neighbor, when he turns on his tv high i turns my tv high++. this is realy a bad situation. if i can reduce the noise by 50% then this is great. in the future buildings there must be a sound detectors mounted on the walls between apartments so if the noise are more than some threshold the detector will send a wireless signal to the government contains all info needed and the next day that noisy neighbor will recieve a notification to visit the police centre.
    other ideas are welcome.

thinBasic MVPs

Possible answer

I think this is what you are looking for, I have seen it in action and it really works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Mike C.
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

thanks Mike , yes it sounds great this neat method, i have watched some videos in youtube ;all the sounds are like machines, winds ..., but i wish to see a canceller to cancel the talk ,and other irregular sounds. here ... it is said
    "It's not very effective when sounds of different amplitudes from different directions are to be cancelled. It works well with something like an engine in a closed environment, such as with a submarine". also used in airplane cabinet. i will keep reading about this method.

in front of a small cupboard which does not touch the wall i hear a little noise, so i will try the hanged newspapers on a small portion of the wall as a test. i prefer the hanged material since it is easier to manage. or may be a hanged elastic template which then i can paste differnt materials to it. i will post in this thread when i make the experiment.
    Last edited by zak; 05-08-2011 at 18:28.

thinBasic MVPs
    I know a couple of people that have setup mini recording studios and they all used egg boxes/tray fixed to the Walls.It's cheap and simple to install.
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

I just saw this thread, and I don't have much time now.

I don't have time now to look at the solutions that were already recommended.

Anyway, it's a simple problem, but, maybe the solution is not so simple.

You need something that will prevent the wall vibrations from being transmitted to the air.

Actually, I think if you could construct a vacuum at the wall's surface, that would work almost perfectly. But, I am not confident that you can do that.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to find some old mattresses, and stand them up against the transmitting wall.

It's not hi-tech, but, it's cheap, and it might help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or, measure the length and width of the wall.

Get a piece of carpet of that length and width.

Nail the carpet to the wall, along the top.

I doubt if carpet is a very good transmitter of vibrations.

Last edited by danbaron; 06-08-2011 at 07:07.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields