Thread: Morphological Anti-Aliasing

Morphological Anti-Aliasing

Interesting post here about how Intel wants to move Anti-Aliasing from the GPU to the CPU. It features a few images from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 showcasing how the new techniques can improve the look of a game.

Hi Matthew,

I am reading through the article for some days, and still not sure what to think about it.
    The performance chart in the end looks promising, but I see one problem in whole comparison.
    As page 11 says, measurements are performed on:

• Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM Processor (Intel® microarchitecture code name Sandy Bridge, 4 cores 8 threads @2.30 GHz) with GT2 processor graphics, 4 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
    • Intel® Core™ i5-660 Processor (codename “Clarkdale”, 2 cores 4 threads @ 3.33 Ghz), with GMA HD Graphics (codename “Ironlake”), 2 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1

So they compare performance of very fast CPUs with very slow GPUs. As we are speaking antialiasing, I doubt any gamer or graphic designer will stay with (processor) integrated GPU. I guess with solid PCI-E card from AMD or NVIDIA the results would be different. Did you find anywhere Windows binaries of their solution? I would be very much interested on trying it on various PC and see the real performance.

On the other side, I must say I am really pleasantly surprised how many new approaches to antialiasing appeared lately, it seems this area of graphics has its new gold era again!

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I think technology such as this isn't being aimed at the PC gamers with expensive machines. If there was a way to get games like Battlefield 3 or Crysis to run & look good on Integrated Cards (other than using systems like OnLive or Gaikai) it would transform the fortunes of the PC gaming industry as a lot more people would consider buying games for their PC rather than a Console.