Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Sound

Computer Sound

Probably, everyone knows the answer to this except me.

Normally, I never use any sound on my computer. I have no use for it.

But, I am going to need it for something soon.

I remember a long time ago, computers came with built in speakers.

I have Windows 7, and I tried testing my sound, and, I hear nothing.

Am I correct in concluding that new computers do not come with built in speakers, and that I have to connect external speakers in order to be able to hear anything?

"You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Hi,

It seems you have the time oversleep! Or you have a stone age computer!
    You need a sound card, to make noise.
    Or your Motherboard got a sound chip. In this case, plug in a speaker to your Computer.

Since you are running Windows 7 Dan, that means you probably have a computer with built in sound, plug speakers or headphones up to the round plug with a green color to it. The red plug is for microphones.

Audio out jack in the picture
    Last edited by kryton9; 13-03-2011 at 01:03.

Thanks guys.

Yes, peter, I did sleep for 20 years.

But, I found the speakers that came with the computer.

They use USB for the power, so I don't have to turn them on and off, which is good.

You're right, Kent, the plug is green (that's a good picture - thanks). So, I plugged it into the green hole. (There are also 4 other holes, black, yellow, blue, pink.)

I went to the control panel, changed the view to, "Small icons", and clicked on, "Sound". Then, I clicked on the, "Sounds", tab, and tried testing the default sounds. I didn't hear anything, so, of course, I thought that once again I was embarked on an hours long ordeal just to be able to accomplish a simple task. But, fortunately, I tried restarting the computer, and amazingly, then, I was actually able to cause the speakers to produce sounds!

I still would prefer if there was a little speaker inside the computer or the monitor. To me, external speakers are just another device taking up space. On the other hand, I guess this way I could somehow run the audio output through two of my electric guitar amplifiers, or, do you think that would be overkill?!

"You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Hi,

You need this here for inside:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's only for beeping.

http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mi.../dp/B002W4M0DW

I need to be able to hear speech, too.

this is a usefull thread, i want to annoy Dan slightly: i buyed before a month a head earphones equiped with an electronics to filter the noise . but i found that it filter also the hoarseness in the human voice , such as when we have cold, treating it as a noise. so this is bad, and i have buyed another head earphones which have no electronics at all, and it is exact in translating the real sound. but my big speakers are good even they have electronics and could convey correctly the sound delicate characteristics.
    i must not forget that kryton is a good teacher , i have reserved his picture as a reference.

thinBasic MVPs

Beeping hell its speaker tastic

Quote Originally Posted by danbaron View Post
    I think it's only for beeping.

I need to be able to hear speech, too.

Dan the speaker output on the motherboard (not audio out green jack) should be able to drive a 4-8 ohm impedance speaker and produce normal quality audio.

What motherboard does your machine have?
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

I have some big tube (valve) electric guitar amplifiers, zak. They each have two 12" speakers. I'm going to put one on each side of the computer, connect them to the green jack (Is it correct?, the plug is the male, and the jack is the female? Why would Jack be a female? Shouldn't the female be Jill?), and turn them up to 10, so I can accurately detect every wave of audio output.

Why do you need headphones? It doesn't make sense. Maybe when I am speaking to someone else in the same room, we will each wear headphones, and talk to each other through microphones. This will be the way of the future! The headphones will filter out the noise, so we can hear the subtlest nuances of each other's voices.

-------------------------------------

I don't know what's inside my Machine, Mike.

I have lots of responsibilities. At this point, I'm grateful if when I turn on the computer, something doesn't go wrong. A long time ago I would open my computers. For instance, in a Macintosh I had, I installed an FPU (floating point unit). That was back when, if you didn't have one, it was almost faster to do floating point operations with a pencil.

But, I'm glad you indicated that in theory, I don't need external speakers. So, I feel that my initial post in this thread, was not so crazy.

Last edited by danbaron; 14-03-2011 at 00:21.

Dan, also many lcd monitors now have built in speakers, but not all do. Since you said your computer came with speakers, the monitor probably doesn't have speakers, but you never know?

You won't be happy sucking all that electricity to drive your guitar amps just to hear your computer. I would not recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast