Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbour

I put c:\hb20\bin on my path.

(Maybe I need hb21, like you have.)

But anyway, I still get an error message when I try to compile the file. Here is the new one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project [ C:/hb20/examples/misc/guess.prg ] Launch [ No ] Rebuild [ Yes ] Started [ 22:35:47 ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Batch File Exists => C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\Temp\nltaxp.bat
    Batch File Contents =>
    hbmk2 -q -trace -info -lang=en -width=0 -rebuild -s C:\hb20\examples\misc\guess.prg
    Command => C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    Arguments => /C C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\Temp\nltaxp.bat
    CurDir() => Users\root\Desktop Starting in => C:\hb20\examples\misc\
    C:\hb20\examples\misc>hbmk2 -q -trace -info -lang=en -width=0 -rebuild -s C:\hb20\examples\misc\guess.prg
    hbmk2: Autodetected platform: win
    hbmk2: Autodetected C compiler: mingw
    hbmk2: Using Harbour: C:\hb20\bin C:\hb20\include C:\hb20\lib\win\mingw
    C:\hb20\lib\win\mingw
    hbmk2: Using C compiler: C:\strawberry\c\bin\gcc.exe
    hbmk2: Processing configuration: C:\hb20\bin\hbmk.cfg
    hbmk2: Compiling Harbour sources...
    hbmk2: Harbour compiler command (embedded):
    (C:\hb20\bin\harbour.exe) -n2 C:/hb20/examples/misc/guess.prg -q -width=0 -s -o.hbmk\win\mingw\ -iC:/hb20/include
    Error F0034 Bad command line option 'width=0'
    hbmk2: Error: Running Harbour compiler (embedded). 1
    (C:\hb20\bin\harbour.exe) -n2 C:/hb20/examples/misc/guess.prg -q -width=0 -s -o.hbmk\win\mingw\ -iC:/hb20/include
    Exit Code [ 6 ] Exit Status [ 0 ] Finished at [ 22:35:48 ] Done in [ 1.47 Secs ]

The error seems strange to me. A bad option to harbour.exe, "-width=0". But, who put that option there? It wasn't me. I guess it probably came from the IDE (hbide.exe), so, I can't blame Harbour itself.

------------------------------------

Matthew, I think your link for MINIGUI, is actually for HMG.

http://sites.google.com/site/hmgweb/

HMG comes with an IDE. I guess it can compile Harbour.

From HMG, here is a guide to Clipper, which is apparently compatible with Harbour.

http://sites.google.com/site/hmgweb/documentation

I think that MINIGUI is here.

http://www.minigui.org/whatis.shtml

------------------------------------

Almost everything about "Seed7", which Aurel found, looks interesting and good to me.

http://seed7.sourceforge.net/

The only thing lacking that I see, is an IDE.

The documentation looks very good.

It appears to be both an interpreter, and a compiler.

If you download the source, then, you will have to compile it, but, the download is only 1.5 MB.

If you download the binary for Windows, the download is 22.5 MB.

The choice is yours.

Last edited by danbaron; 10-03-2011 at 10:02.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Yeah Dan I think the link is incorrect, to be honest I think a lot more people would be using Harbour if the learning resources regarding the language & the various IDEs were better labelled on the Internet, otherwise it can be quite difficult knowing where to start.

As for the error you're having, according to this I believe it's caused by using a newer version of HBIde with an older version of Harbour.

Pretty good, Matthew, pretty good.

I'll have to download the absolute latest version of Harbour.

Dan

"You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Dan
    Don't worry there is no problem at all...
    I understand your point about Linux but from hoby programmer point
    i see linux very tuff to use.Windows is far is far simplier and easier
    to understand how work.
    Linux have to to ...many options and this couse confusion.
    For example if you made program that require wX library i must have
    wx installed on my computer,if you have Qt based program i must use
    KDE etc...etc...and complexity just rise and rise...
    And becose of this linux never be popular like windows especialy for
    games.

I do think that the power of all of the programmers working together can make a better operating system than Microsoft or Apple can. I think that sooner or later, good triumphs over evil, Open Source free software triumphs over proprietary, "pay to play", software. Most people are good, and good people hate monopolies.

I think that Linux needs and will get some type of unification, standardization, a federation to choose one GUI, for instance.

I absolutely agree that as of today, many programs must be compiled specifically for the particular Linux distribution. And, of course you are exactly correct about all of the different GUI libraries that are currently in use.

But, even today, every time I look at distrowatch ( http://distrowatch.com/
    ), I get excited, and want to get another machine just for Linux.

(And, previously, I think it was Mike Clease who posted links to articles about a new Amiga computer, that would use the latest version of the Amiga OS. I like ideas like that. People who like to program computers could make an Open Source OS, just for the things they want to do. It doesn't need to be so big that it requires 500 GB to load. I think all it needs is a standard GUI, and the ability to connect to the internet. An extra benefit would be, that you probably wouldn't have to worry about viruses or identity theft.)

Last edited by danbaron; 11-03-2011 at 02:37.

I think all it needs is a standard GUI, and the ability to connect to the internet.
    That is the main point in whole story.
    And this is the main problem with linux but unfortunatly many hard-core
    users and linux programers think that is current state better option.
    I dont know is this people blind or stupid or something else.
    And becose of this i doubt that this will hepend soon.

i have noticed that many (and not all) of the Linux users look to windows users as if they are naive , and they disrespect them, this resembles how apple Mac users was looking to the poor pc users in the old times when the mac computer are very expensive, the web are full with such behaviour, as an example : when a perl user ask a linuxer to suggest how to use his example which runs okay on linux but not on windows he said:
    [ since Microsoft expects me to pay for their inferior software, i would expect to be paid to write software for it..... so it appears that you tallulah have been chosen to solve the problem on win32.. good luck...

....i wish tallulah would get a decent OS, like Ubuntu linux.. :-) ]
    look http://www.perlmonks.com/?node_id=808434

also i remember in a forum a user said that he is using mainly windows 7 and linux in another partition as a secondary one, a linuxer said with angry why not use only linux and forget windows forever... .

i agree that linux sure have surpass over windows in specific pro area like servers, but it is not usefull as a general purpose OS.
    you can install any windows software with just clicking on the setup while you are in linux as Aurel said you need to read too much how to install other related and necessary libs, so rather than focusing on just driving the car you are first must study its engine and how it works , not practical at all.

the most friendly linux is linux mint which is a flavor of Ubuntu which can be installed from within windows 7 by clicking on mint4win.exe in the DVD as explaind here:
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/52
    you do not need item 2 in that page, just burn the iso on DVD
    then the mint4win.exe will install linux inside a folder in C:\ , and when you reboot there are two choices either to load windows 7 or Linux mint. i have uninstalled this linux before 2 days. to reserve the disk space.

Good point Zak...
    Yes Mint is good step forward but still cannot replace Windows.
    Oh my yes Ubuntu -> i really dont understand what so called big
    linuxers see in this distro-> big,slow,ugly properthy of Canonical etc.
    Infact i see Ubuntu what linux not can be.
    I prefer small distros like Slitaz-> 30mb ISO.
    This small distro represent what linux must be -> small & fast lightwight
    OS.
    Maby one day linux authors figured why linux is not popular like windows.

It's absolutely true.

Today, Windows is 10 times easier to use than Linux.

Like zak said, today, the difference between Windows and Linux can be compared to owning a car. For Windows, you just get in and turn the key. For Linux, you need to be an auto mechanic, you need to own an auto mechanic's shop, you need to have a lift to raise the car, you need to own every manual written for your particular car. You need to be able and willing to use a great amount of time and energy working on your car, etc. And, if you don't have all of that, and can't do all of that, then, those who have and can, will insult you.

Isn't the situation still the same for Apple? You still have to pay much more for its proprietary hardware? A long time ago, Steve Jobs left Apple, and formed Next. During that period, Apple allowed other companies to make computers which ran the Apple OS. And, the prices for computers that ran the Apple OS, began to decrease. Then, Next began to sink, I think, Apple bought Next, and Steve Jobs came back to Apple. (I think that Next's OS was basically Unix, and now, underneath, so is Apple's.) The first thing he did when he came back was to stop permitting other companies to make Apple OS compatible computers. Then, I think, the price of Apple computers, went up again. Apple always did, and still probably does encourage the snobbish attitude which many of its users have. It's a psychological trick to make the people who pay more for Apple's products, believe that since they can and do pay more, they must be better than everyone else.

Actually, you see that attitude everywhere in this capitalistic world. Those who have more money, are convinced that having more money is objective evidence that they are intrinsically better than anyone who has less, and so, they deserve more than anyone who has less. The extreme version of that attitude is evident in billionaires who live out their lives in obscene luxury, and haven't the slightest care that over one billion people live on less than one dollar per day. Many of them don't even care that they may leave this planet destroyed for their own descendants. To me, no other species is near capable of treating its own members so awfully. It is amazing to me - terribly amazing. Think about how often the absolute worst people, the charming psychopaths, gain power and unleash misery and death on millions, without even the tiniest pang of conscience. (Many rich and famous people are shocked if and when they ever realize, that they are constructed from exactly the same material as everyone else.)

Last edited by danbaron; 11-03-2011 at 22:44.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.