Thread: Array question

Array question

Hi,

I'm new to this so please bear with me. And I hope it is in the right forum.

I'm trying to load an array with the 50 states abbreviation to search for a valid state. Does thinBasic have a limit to the number of columns you can input data/code before it doesn't recognizes it? That's what I think is happening. So I tried to put it into several lines but that didn't work either. Could you provide any insight or help? Thanks.

Dim aStates(50) As String

Array Assign aStates(1) = "AL", "AK", "AZ", "AR", "CA", "CO", "CT", "DE", "DC", "FL", "GA', "HI", "ID", "IL", "In", "IA", "KS", "KY", "LA", "ME", "MD", "MA", "MI", "MN", "MS", "MO", "MT", "NE", "NV", "NH", "NJ", "NM", "NY", "NC", "ND", "OH", "OK", "Or", "PA", "RI", "SC", "SD", "TN", "TX", "UT", "VT", "VA", "WA", "WV", "WI", "WY"

Noticed too that it change IN to In and OR as Or. Wouldn't leave it in caps.

Thanks again.

Hi TheOne,

welcome to the forums!
    The root of your trouble is in fact you made one typo - instead of writing "GA" you wrote "GA'.

You also list 51 entries, but dim array just for 50.

After correcting these two, everything works as expected:

Dim aStates(51) As String

Array Assign aStates(1) = "AL", "AK", "AZ", "AR", "CA", "CO", "CT", "DE", "DC", "FL", "GA", "HI", "ID", "IL", "IN", "IA", "KS", "KY", "LA", "ME", "MD", "MA", "MI", "MN", "MS", "MO", "MT", "NE", "NV", "NH", "NJ", "NM", "NY", "NC", "ND", "OH", "OK", "OR", "PA", "RI", "SC", "SD", "TN", "TX", "UT", "VT", "VA", "WA", "WV", "WI", "WY"
    Maybe it will make you happy that you don't have to use Array Assign at all and you can do directly:

aStates(1) = "AL", "AK", "AZ", "AR", "CA", "CO", "CT", "DE", "DC", "FL",
    "GA", "HI", "ID", "IL", "IN", "IA", "KS", "KY", "LA", "ME",
    "MD", "MA", "MI", "MN", "MS", "MO", "MT", "NE", "NV", "NH",
    "NJ", "NM", "NY", "NC", "ND", "OH", "OK", "OR", "PA", "RI",
    "SC", "SD", "TN", "TX", "UT", "VT", "VA", "WA", "WV", "WI", "WY"
    Note the implicit line continuation - this feature works from ThinBASIC 1.8.6.0 up

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 07-02-2011 at 22:06.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks Petr.

Extra pair of eyes always help. How did I miss those quotes? And how did I have US gain another state?

I'm on version 1.8.0.0. How do I explicitly tell thinBasic to continue to the next line for this and other things?

Thanks again Petr.

Hi,

in older versions, the explicit line continuation is achieved via underscore:

aStates(1) = "AL", "AK", "AZ", "AR", "CA", "CO", "CT", "DE", "DC", "FL", _
    "GA", "HI", "ID", "IL", "IN", "IA", "KS", "KY", "LA", "ME", _
    "MD", "MA", "MI", "MN", "MS", "MO", "MT", "NE", "NV", "NH", _
    "NJ", "NM", "NY", "NC", "ND", "OH", "OK", "OR", "PA", "RI", _
    "SC", "SD", "TN", "TX", "UT", "VT", "VA", "WA", "WV", "WI", "WY"

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks again Petr.

Couldn't find anything in the help manual so I originally tried the dash and plus. Never would have thought the underscore.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.