Thread: Android...

Android...

Hey all, I'm back...
    Now I have a question.. is thinbasic able to be ported to say, Android Tablet.
    I like to be able to talk and listen from the tablet to the outside world. Maybe thru a basic stamp to change code (serial or whatever) to an interface (optic iso's)

Or should I look into a windows tablet.

Old

thinBasic MVPs
    You will need a windows platform as TB is written in powerbasic a windows based language, I don't know of any windows emulators for android, yet.
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

I'm sorry but thinBasic works (and will work) only under Windows (from WinXP to Windows 7)
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hey ErosOlmi

So, not windows CE too..

Oh darn..

Windows CE is a subset of Windows in terms of API. Many API are missing in Windows CE, that's why you cannot execute on CE applications developed for Windows.

Main reason why thinBasic is only with Windows is because thinBasic is almost fully developd using Power Basic Compiler and that compiler is only available under Windows.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

I tried not to reply to this thread, but found this and had to.

I tried not to reply to this thread, but found this and had to post.
    It is a short article but long on vision with what is coming this year and beyond.

http://www.slashgear.com/ces-2011-nv...arty-07124508/

Windows only is not a safe future path as it has been.

Even the tablets coming out with Windows 7, they will cost around $700 -$1000 or more compared to alternative OS's at a quarter or half of the cost with richer user interfaces.

I have a friend who said she will never buy a computer and she stuck to her word for the last 25 years... she just called this week all excited. She said she got an iPad and is so happy. To her it is not a computer, but a useful tool to do what she wants in a very friendly well designed user interface that seems natural.

Look at how many years now Windows had a tablet version and yet, it never even came close to what the iPad or Android could do in fraction of the time of existence.

Russia also wants all government computers to run on open source software. I am sure this will spread to other countries, if Russia proves it is possible. The future for Windows is not good.
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...urce-software/

I had a look at the Android Developer pages and it seems that whole development system is tightly integrated using the Eclipse IDE with Java and the Linux Kernel. All applications have to be digitally signed before being released.

I wonder how one might implement a BASIC programming language as a user app in this kind of environment.

(I have my doubts about using BASIC at the developer level though Eclipse will take language plugins.)

http://developer.android.com/guide/b...s-android.html

Charles

Charles, you can use netbeans now too. Also there is a BASIC for Android out there:
    http://google-opensource.blogspot.co...de-simple.html
    Might give you an idea on how they went about it.

Yes Kent, I see that is for developer programming - Basic over Java. You would not be able to use this software to write Basic programs on your Android device as a user.

http://code.google.com/p/simple/wiki...pleApplication

I don't think it would be easier than using the mainsteam development tools directly.

Charles